[3830] InQP N9P Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed May 7 23:06:40 EDT 2008

                    Indiana QSO Party

Call: N9P
Operator(s): AK9F, K9NR, K9CS
Station: N9P

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: PERRY, IN

  160:    0      0
   80:  165     74
   40:  127     67
   20:   27     17
--------------------
Total:  319    158  CW Mults = 73  Ph Mults = 67  Total Score = 111,440

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

County: Perry (PER) Indiana
Category: Multi Op
Operators: AK9F, K9NR, K9CS
Power: Low (100 watts)
All wire antennas: 80 dipole, 40 dipole, 20 Moxon

This year, Don K9NR and I convinced another of our friends to join us, Carl
K9CS, a member of our WB9Z 160 Meter contest group and an excellent operator.
It was a new experience for Carl to operate among the ticks, turkeys and deer
of far southern Perry County. The first thing we did upon arriving at the AK9F
farm late Thursday was to check, repair and erect all the antennas. We were
able to have the 40 and 80 meter dipoles operational by noon Friday, but
because of the torrential rain and lightning that moved in by 1 PM, had to hold
off finishing the 20 meter Moxon until after the rain let up Saturday morning.
By the start, however, we were ready with the 80 meter dipole at 60’, the 40
meter dipole at 30’ and the 20 meter Moxon fixed west at 25’ and an Icom
746.

The start was very slow with 40 meters already long. We opened up on 20 meters,
looking for the western state mults, but suffered through our slowest hour with
only 21 in the log. As the afternoon progressed, the rates picked up a bit, but
Indiana stations were hard to come by until later when stations started moving
to 80 meters.

80 meters was a joy after the afternoon on 40 and 20, and the Indiana Q’s
rolled into the log throughout the evening. This was the first year we operated
SSB on 80. With the new band plan, there was not nearly the amount of
intentional QRMing that was prevalent in previous years. It was actually
possible to hold a frequency on 80 with 100 watts, a feat not possible before.

The three letter special event call seemed more familiar this year as there
were less requests for repeats. We managed to work all three other one-by-one
calls (N9I, N9N and N9Q) at least once, some a number of times.

By the close at 0400Z, N9P had managed 319 CW and 158 SSB contacts for a total
of 477 Q’s, 140 multipliers and worked W9UUU for a total score of 111,490.

While we tried to balance the CW and Phone counts, the final tally indicated
that all three N9P operators have a distaste for microphones!

A total of 85 Indiana contacts are in the log, 39 Indiana counties were worked,
56 Indiana multipliers and W9UUU. We worked 46 states (missed only AK, HI, DE
and SD), 3 VE provinces and one or two DX. The slowest hour was the first with
21 and the best hour 70. We averaged about 40 contacts per hour for the 12
hours.

All in all, we had a great time. A special thanks go to all the mobiles that
provided so many of the counties that otherwise would have been absent. A real
pat on the back to Mel KJ9C for organizing all the mobiles and to the HDXCC
gang for sponsoring the INQP. We especially appreciate the mobiles for the many
adversities that they worked through, including the outrageous gas prices!

This is a really fun event and we are looking forward to an even better INQP
next year. As always, activity is the key….let’s hope we can convince more
stations to participate in the future.

73,
Howard
N9P

Howard – AK9F
Don – K9NR
Carl – K9CS

INDIANA QSO PARTY 2008
Call Used: N9P
Indiana County Ran: PER (Perry)
Callsign(s) of Operators(s): AK9F, K9NR, K9CS
Entry Class: Multi Operator
Power: Low (100 watts)
 MULTIPLIERS WORKED:

ALL BAR BEN BOO BRO CLAY CLI DEC DUB ELK FAY
FOU FRA FUL GRE HAM HAN HOW JOH LAG LAK MAD
MARI MARS MIA MOR OHI POR PUL RIP RUS SHE STA
STE STJ TIPP VAN VER WAB
CT MA ME NH
RI VT NY NJ MDC PA AL FL GA KY NC
SC TN VA AR LA MS NM OK TX CA AZ