[3830] WPX CW VE6CNU SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 25 20:41:04 EDT 2008

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Calgary

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

Wow - I'm exhausted!  I've never put so many hours into a contest before.  But
the time paid off as I shattered last year's effot by about 150,000 points.

The band condx were probably the strangest I've ever heard (in my 3 years of
contesting).  Normally, in the winter, we can hear the European stations coming
through about an hour or two before we can actually work them.  This time it
took maybe 3 or 4 hours before I could get through.  But once the gates opened,
I was able to make quite a few good contacts.  The bigger question was where was
the rest of the world?  I only worked 4 African countries, 4 Asian countries, 5
from Oceania and 8 SA countries.  I worked a total of 29 countries in Europe.
Not bad for 100W and a TH6 at 40' - given where we are in the solar cycle.  I
was expecting much poorer conditions, but was glad to see that the contest made
it's own propagation.  10m even opened up pretty good on Saturday afternoon,
which is saying something from this latitude.  I even worked Argentina - LU1HN
- which is pretty amazing for Sporadic E (if indeed it is).  I also managed to
work 5 stations (WX5S, NF6A, N5RM, AND KF6T) on 10m through 80m (thanks guys!).

Thanks again to all those who struggled to pull my weak signal through the
noise.  I hope that next year is even better and I'm going to try for the
million points.  From this "black hole" it seems like quite a challenge.

73,

Jerry, VE6CNU

Rig:  Yaesu FT-1000MP
Ant:  TH6DXX @ 40', Inv Vee 40/80,