[3830] WPX CW NQ4I(VE7ZO) SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 27 09:26:19 EDT 2008

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s): VE7ZO
Station: NQ4I

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: GRIFFEN, GA

   20: 1911

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

What was originally going to be a first trial for the new 20M stack turned out
to be a good exercise for the single 8 el. and a 204 BA in a SO2R
configuration.  The band was in decent shape for almost the whole contest but
during the European daylight hours, rates diminished severely due to high
absorption.  It was great to hear the band open over the north pole into
UA9/UA0 in the evenings once again.  Propagation favored northern and eastern
Europe with relatively few strong signals out western Europe.

While listening on the 204 BA, I found K3ZO working the far east on Sunday
morning.  Fred seems to be a bellweather for this propagation and after
swinging the antenna over to JA, was rewarded with a number of BY's, JA's and
XW1A.  Rates were low so unfortunately I couldn't persist as long as I would
have liked.

It was a pleasant weekend with three single band efforts being made from NQ4I's
station - W4KZ 15M (NQ4I), NQ4I 20M (VE7ZO) and WI4R (N6GQ) Thanks to Rick and
his family for being great hosts once again.