[3830] SS CW VA7ST Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 03:31:43 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Flux: 68  | Ap: 1  | Kp: 0

18.7 hours vs. 21 hours last year.

* FT-2000 and N1MM Logger, SO1R unassisted
* tribander at 25' (yes, 25' -- on purpose)
* 40M 2 x verticals N-S array
* 40M 2 x half-square E-W array
* 80M 2 x verticals (6 raised radials ea.)
* 270' Beverage E-W

The beauty of Sweepstakes is that if, like me, you don't get a sweep every
year, it's terrific when you do. Got it this year, first since 2004 -- shut out
in 2005 with 73, 2006 with 79, and 2007 with 78. Sure felt good to get them all
again. Hope they all hold up!

The breakdown by band was:
20M  61 sections
40M   9 sections
80M  10 sections

I stalled at 77 sections Sunday morning, mostly CQing but a few S&P. VO1MP
called in for a wonderful surprise, and a bit later VO1HE called in, so I was
down to 2 remaining for the sweep: AB and EWA, both close-in. Around 2100z
Sunday I decided to take a break from running when rate began to fall on 20M,
and hunted for VE6. Heard VE6TN running but aiming away, and S1 copy here. Up
the band, I finally found VE6EX for AB -- very tough copy this close on 20M but
we "got 'er done."

With 79 in the bag, I ran what I could for a couple of hours hoping an EWA
would find me, but rate just wasn't good on 20 or 40. Took a chance that an EWA
would show up later on 40 or 80, and had an afternoon nap. Got up for dinner and
was on for most of the final hour at 0200z. With half an hour remaining, an EWA
called me -- band was very noisy this evening and I confirmed twice that he was
sending EWA. Sweep!

Had a nice steady rain for much of the contest, so powerline noise was
non-existent -- truly spectacular to hear just signals without the hash around
them. The silence revealed good conditions for a domestic contest, which I
don't often hear. On 15M I was able to work a few stations that were almost not
there, but more there than the noise floor, hi.

As I'd hoped, VE4EAR found his radio for a few contacts. Also had KE0Z/VE4 call
in for the MB mult. Heard someone work VE4YU, too, so MB wasn't as rare as it
might have been. Thanks to the lads from the north, VY1EI and VE8EV for NWT,
and a raft of active KL7s for AK.

80M -- Station played well. The 80M verticals and Beverage system did an
amazing job this year -- 207 Qs vs. 43 last year with a full-sized delta loop.
The difference is in the gain and directional options the phased pair of
verticals provides, and the ability to eliminate noise from signals out of the
east using the short Beverage.

40M -- Big drop here. Was I alone, or did others see a real reduction in 40M Qs
vs. last year? I managed only 105 on 40M, vs. 252 last year, despite having
better antenna options (half-square last year, this year TWO parasitic
half-squares, and a phased set of verticals pointing south). Just didn't seem
like the band was in very good shape -- and the one-way East -> West
propagation was in full force both evenings, though in late afternoon the river
runs both ways just fine.

20M -- Madhouse. Awesome! A real treat to not have the powerline noise for a
brief, rainy weekend. Could hear clear down to nothing. Trying to take
advantage of the unusual topography at this QTH when beaming US/VE (300' drop
near tower, with high ridge on far side, 14,000 feet away). Looks like the
trick is go low, especially on 15M (and eventually 10M). Qs were up by 40 (or
about 40 minutes' worth of running) despite less time on 20M this year. Found
61 sections, vs. 41 last year on 20M. Wish I had run faster and stayed in the
chair longer. Those who make 1,300-1,400 Qs sure have it figured out!

15M -- about the same as last year, with just 28 Qs. Great signal-to-noise
ratio this weekend, wish more stations had been looking to the Pacific
Northwest.

Year-over-year looks like this:

Year   QSOs   Pts  Sec    Score
-------------------------------
2008   902   1804   80  144,320 <- HP
2007   837   1674   78  130,572 <- HP
2006   648   1296   79  102,384
2005   527   1054   73   76,942
2004   580   1160   80   92,800
2003   182     --   52   18,928
2002   370    740   72   53,280

Thanks for the Qs! See you in SS SSB, and CQWW CW. Next weekend I'll get into
WAE RTTY late on Friday night (working till 10 p.m. PST).

73 Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st/