[3830] SS CW NO5W Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 09:26:41 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W
Station: NO5W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX

Club: Northwest ARS (NARS)

Comments:

I've been wireless since Ike took all my antennas and their supporting tree
down. To boot there's been a lot of activity around the shack -- daughter's
wedding, trip to New England, Texas QSO Party, processing logs for TQP, etc. So
Friday noon found me still wireless and treeless with a visit by relatives
slated for Friday evening that would last until Sunday noon. It didn't look
good for playing in SSCW but Friday afternoon I scrambled and managed to gather
the necessary stuff and toss a line into a substitute tree. But still no wires.

After visitors left on Sunday around 1900Z a 20M wire was cut and raised, the
software configured (yikes I left my callsign out of the exchange for the first
10 or so Qs -- apologies for that liddity). Around 2030Z I knew time was running
short for QSY to 40M so it was back in the yard to cut a 40M wire, get it
trimmed and raised and to answer questions from the neighbors on why I was so
early putting up the Christmas lights. Finally about an hour later I was back
on with 40M capability and stayed there for the duration. Whew, not a
recommended way to beat the Sunday doldrums but I did have a few nice runs on
20M and then during the last 10 minutes on 40M.

Not sure why but the most curious thing I noticed about the contest was the
large number of repeats requested of my check. Hopefully next year I'll be back
in SSCW with a lot less scrambling and more operating.

Thanks to all for the Qs,

Chuck/NO5W