[3830] SS CW KB9OWD Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 12:17:31 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Nice to see alot of activity in what was likely an increased turnout for the
75th anniversary. Thanks to Duane, W9BCV and his wife Penny who are a few miles
down the road for the chance to stop in and operate again.  This station will
not compete large scale but is alot more fun than the home setup to operate
with decent numbers for the "black hole" area!

My goals were straight forward from the start:  meet or beat last year QSO and
score, for sure hit the 75 and shoot for 80.  NWT is always a tough shot from
here and I saw in the reflector that VY1JA would likely not be on which was one
less out there.

To beat last year was not a real chore as I only had 20 hours and 583 QSO's
last year.  I had that with almost 8 hours to go and beat last year's score by
about 20,000.

The first night I worked until the time change at 2 A.M. local and had a
planned sleep break in that time frame.  The logging program didn't mind the
time change but adjusted my operating time in there back one hour which I could
not change, so I had to keep a mental note to add one hour to operating time on.
 I got home and set the alarm for 5:15 A.M. planning to drive back and be on the
air by 5:30

My wife hit me at 6:25 and asked what time I had the alarm set for.  Being an
hour and 10 minutes past my get up time, this was not a good start to Sunday.

I got back on Sunday morning needing only 8 for the sweep.  80 and 40 had good
rates throughout the day and I plucked away and by 1900Z only need ND, NL and
NWT for the sweep.  Meanwhile, I poked up to 15 meters and found the opening to
the west coast unreal.  Many CA stations peaking 30 over 9.  CQed and picked up
2 KH6 just after their sunrise and even heard some KL7 activity so I knew if
NWT showed there was hope!

I do not do SO2R at Duane's and therefore my strategy is to run like crazy the
first 10 hours to get what I can and work the 2nd VFO on the radio on Sunday to
search for mults when the rates drop.  I got a break as KE0A called me from ND
on 40 for #78 with over 6 hours to go!

I had been in a pileup earlier in the day for VO1HP and missed out when he
left.  While cq'ing on 15 I had the 2nd VFO scanning 20 and found him in about
the same spot he was earlier with much less of a pileup and worked him on the
2nd call leaving only NWT.

About a half hour later I went back to 20 to run and had the 2nd VFO on 15.  I
found an enormous pileup around 21050 and figured I had found NWT which indeed
I had.  Could not copy him most of the time before he went split as stations
kept QRMing out of turn when he would reply to another station.  He soon
disappeared and thought I had lost my chance.

Another half hour or so later I found him again on 21043 working split, QSB up
and down from the noise level to almost S9.  Low and behold, first call I get
KB9? back.  Completed the call and exchange and had the sweep in the bag with
over 5 hours to go.  Took him about 3 or 4 times to get my number as some just
did not get it and continued to call as I was sending the exchange for the 3rd
and 4th time for him.

Went back to 40 and 80, more relaxed with the sweep in the bag and casually
worked whomever I could, taking the last 31 minutes off for the rest of my
required off time.

20 was wall to wall signals here.  40 was in decent shape and 80 was great at
times with loud signals from coast to coast.  I reflect was N0IJ said in that I
don't know if it's habit or what, but I love going to 80 to keep things rolling
and it always seems to produce from here also!

Several times while running I had someone come right on me and start to CQ, no
QRL or anything!  For the most part, I suck up my pride and move to another
frequency.  Sunday evening on 40 I had auto CQ on for about 7 or 8 minutes with
nothing and all of a sudden a decent pileup and would wager I was spotted.  Out
of nowhere, I get a "big gun" right on me almost zero beat CQing with about a
30/9 signal.  I even had stations in the pileup sending "qsy" to him to no
avail.  I worked through the pile alright and he disappeared.  I did confirm he
did hear me so why that was necessary I do not know.  That one bothered me a bit
but otherwise no major problems, no visits from murphy etc.

Played around with recording a bit at the request from the some local club
members.  Went the "cheap route", my work digital recorder with a small mike
piece to my right ear phone.  Believe it or not, worked rather well and will
have something to share with them!

I didn't see his numbers, but if he stuck with it, congrats to N9CK on a great
score from WI low power!  He had me by a bunch when I worked him in the early
going!

See you all in SS SSB.  I will be a late start as I have Badger football
tickets that day and will use most of my off time there, starting late
evening!

73

Ryan KB9OWD