[3830] SS CW W7YAQ Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 14:52:37 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Sisters OR

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

K3 at 5.0 watts
3-el Steppir (w/ 40 dipole) at 70 feet
80m Inv Vee at 65 feet

One thing about running QRP is that the Sunday doldrums don't hurt you as much
since there are always plenty of stations you haven't worked!  Worked more
stations in the last 11 hours than in the first 12.  Activity level seemed
generally high.

I was lucky to catch VY1EI working split on 20 in the third hour but went to
bed still needing about 10 mults.  Most including VE2, VO1, and ND called in
Sunday morning when calling CQ low on 20.  Completed the sweep at 1918Z when I
called W9UK who unexpectedly gave WPA as his section!

I felt I could hear better than in previous SS contests.  First, condx seemed
very good with little QRN on 80 and 40, and 20 opening up solidly at 1400Z
Sunday.  Second, the new QTH in central Oregon is very quiet compared to the
old one in the metro Portland area.  Third, the new K3 has a wonderful receiver
-- with very little trouble copying the weak signals in the presence of the
numerous strong ones.  I found I wasn't needing nearly as many fills as in
previous years.

Tnx for the QSOs and fun!
73,
Bob W7YAQ (CK 54)