[3830] SS CW K6VVA SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 23:43:12 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: RF Hole
Operating Time (hrs): 13:38

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Three hours before SS, my remote site connectivity went belly up. I was going to
haul another rig, generator and small amp up to the VERY remote location, but
didn't want to get stranded there with the uncertainties of the impact of an
impending storm later in the day. So I decided to operate from my home RF Hole
QTH again {SIGH}. This was a good call, as we had almost 2 inches of rain in
this area and the steep winding dirt road to the mountaintop may not have been
usable to get down for days and I would have been stranded.

My new SPE amp had bad problems and I'd sold 2 of my AL-80B's and the 3rd was
at a tech friends QTH waiting for parts to repair it. Fortunately, my ALS-600S
that worked flawlessly during CQP in Kings County (with NI6T) last month was
put into service for a little more horsepower.

A nagging left hip and leg problem made it painful to sit for very long, so I
had to repeatedly get up and stretch and took several early time off periods.
I'd pretty much written off the possibilities of a clean sweep, but kept
thinking about the nifty special 75th Anniversary mugs. Sure glad I hung in
long enough to qualify :^)

I went into town to pick up a small "Celebration Pizza" right after making a
Clean Sweep, and in the parking lot decided to call my longtime buddy W6SC (who
lives not far from the pizza place) to see if he had made a Sweep yet. When Jim
said he had, I volunteered him to supply the beer to go with my pizza and we
had a "Clean Sweep Celebration Tailgate Party" in his driveway. It was a nice
in-between lunch and dinner spur-of-the-moment event as captured
photographically by Jim's XYL ( http://www.k6vva.com/arrl2008cwsscleansweeps
).

This fun time help mitigate the myriad of Murphy strikes encountered before and
during my less than full time QRV. I was almost going not going to operate.

73 & Tnx for the SS Q's...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust