[3830] SS CW N5XZ Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 11:02:21 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5XZ
Operator(s): N5XZ
Station: N5XZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

Well, I started out thinking I might be half serious for this contest, then
reality hit me and I had too many chores to take care of. I did mess around the
first night on 40, but I was having key speed problems with my copy of TR4W (I
opted not to use WriteLog due to a different keying problem KL7FH and I have
been experiencing with that software.) I could not adjust my speed between 25
and 35 WPM.it would just jump, nothing in between. And the keying was not very
smooth some of the time. So I was either at 25 WPM (slow) or 35 WPM (fast).
Maybe I better install N1MM instead (?). Anyone using TR4W experience any CW
speed adjustment problems?

I did use the opportunity to operate while KD5YVQ was at the next door
neighbors' checking his stereo for an RFI problem. Turns out he needs to
replace his speaker wire with twisted/shielded cable (we tried a piece that I
use on my stereo speakers) and that took away most of the interference. He also
had to add some ferrite chokes to the amplified sub-woofer which took care of
the rest.

Back to SS: putzin' around for a few hours netted 379 Q's and 75 sections.