[3830] SS CW K8AZ(K8MR) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 6 22:10:48 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8AZ
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8AZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OH

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is the fourth stop on the K8MR SS SOMS tour, and as always is saving the
best for last.  Nothing like a 4L 40 pointed west on Sunday night!  I actually
started here Saturday, helping put up the 80 meter dipole, which did come in
handy and likely worked better than the usual K8AZ DX oriented 4-square. We
also spent the time this year getting WinTest set up before the contest, not
during it.

I hope I did not bust too many exchanges for other people.  Unfortunately
WinTest copied a bad feature from CT: if there is nothing entered in the
callsign field when you hit F2, it sends the previous QSO's number. Not good
when you have a pileup, pick a call at the last second, send the call on the
paddle and hit F2. Several times I did and caught it, fumbled around, hit any
key in the callsign field, and started over. But I'm sure I sounded like a lid
while doing so.

The bottom line for my weekend was 1714 qsos in 79 sections, never hearing a
VY1/VE8. I heard one roaring pileup that I thought must have been a VV1, only
to find that it was K7OX in EWA.  The total combined score was 259,228, which
is about equal to a 1620/80 single score.  So it looks like I achieved my
annual goal of beating WP3R, or N2IC, in total score. Only with the slight
advantage of being able to work everyone four times.

73  -  Jim   K8MR