[3830] SS SSB VA7ST Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 16 22:44:45 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Missed Newfoundland and Puerto Rico... needed only those two most of Sunday but
never ran across either all weekend. Worked TWO NTs and no NLs. Lost the race
to 80 with VE4EAR when Ed got 'em all on Sunday. Spent about an hour doing
nothing but combing 20M and 40M for NL and PR but nada. So I had a nap in honor
of my close-but-not-close-enough effort. Got on a few more times during the
afternoon for those getting on late and still needing BC. Pretty thin in the
final hour.

Spent just shy of 16 hours in the chair. Ran when I could find a place. Sure
weren't many slots to wedge into, and none stayed useable for very long.

Didn't feel very loud anywhere except 80M Saturday night, and 40M into W6 and
W7 Sunday afternoon. Winds on Saturday morning kept me from making Phone-band
tweaks to the 20M tribander, so I lived with the high SWR when going high in
the band. Winds kept tower cranked down all weekend, yagi at 30'.

As I saw last year, my check year doesn't get across well at all. Had fills on
at least half of the Qs (some needed many, many repeats to copy it), despite
trying all manner of adjustments on the FT-2000 equalizer, including turning it
off, processor on or off. My voice, the HC-4 element, and that number do not
mix.

Often had a bee's nest of S3 activity under the callers who took the time to
point my way. Those who put me on the front of their beams got me first.

Fun time. Now two weeks of rest and final prep for CQWW CW. See you there!

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st