[3830] SS SSB VE3MGY Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 17 08:30:06 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ONTARIO

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I had this one planned for at least a month. As we were busy Sunday night I
would operate 24 hours straight from 2100z to 2100z and try to beat my previous
best score. The XYL had also made plans so everything looked great.

Saturday morning brought rain, at times heavy, which lasted all day long so it
was a good weekend to be both in the house and on the air.

I was QRV at 2100z but by 0100z the SWR was going crazy and I had a hard time
keeping everything at or close to 1:1. A quick look outside found a raging
snowstorm. The problem was the snow was big flakes, wet, and heavy, and
sticking to everything - including all the antennas hence the SWR problems.  I
kept adjusting the tuners to keep everything matched but then at 0400z the power
went out, crashing everything. It was back on in a few seconds but it took me
about 10 - 12 minutes to get everything booted and running again. Then between
0400z and 0530z this happened no less than 7 times!! After the 2nd or 3rd crash
I switched to my backup radio to save my primary one. Only problem was the old
radio had no filters so it was unbelievably noisey - even on 40M. By 0530z I
had spent most of the previous hour and a half off the air and was more
concerned about my radios and computers being fried by a voltage spike than
losing QSO's so I reluctanly went QRT. The power continued to cycle on and off
for the next hour before I went to bed.

I was up at 1030z and a look outside really surprised me. Things had actually
gotten worse over night. The weight of the snow had dropped two trees and alot
of big branches, one tree top, as well as some of my antennas. What antennas
were still up were sagging under the weight of the snow. I went out to see what
I could do - which was nothing - as the antennas are up 70' - 90' in the trees.
I went back in, now sadly admitting defeat, and decided to turn on the gear
anyway. At 1200z or 1300z, I forget which, the power went out again!! I
restarted eveything yet again and then stayed on the filterless radio [ ouch ]
and wondered what I was really accomplishing here?? My goal of a personal best
was now a pipe dream but as the XYL's plans were still on so I decided to keep
going anyway - for a couple of hours anyway - and add some more points for CCO
if nothing else. So I poked around 20 and 15 between walks around the house,
complaing to the XYL, and gazing outside at the mess and work that lay ahead.

But around 1930z I found a hole on 40M and starting calling CQ just to pass the
time [ what did I have to lose? ] and then a pileup appeared and stayed there
for 3 hours straight. The rate meter started giving me numbers I had only read
about. At 2230z I went QRT still shaking my head. I wasn't sure what had just
happened on 40M but I had just set a personal best - and in 17 hours to boot.
Yes, part of me wanted to stay on to the end as I still had 7 hours of unused
time[!] but I had promised the XYL to be QRT at 2230z so I turned off the
gear... And I now have a "New" goal for next year. And alot of yard work....

Tnx for all the QSO's

73
Brian
VE3MGY