[3830] SS SSB N4GG SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 17 09:53:32 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N4GG
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: GA

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

My usual SS-SSB scenario.  Ignore the contest until 10 minutes after it starts,
get on to make a few Qs on the "other mode."  Get caught up in it.  Stop
everything and get set-up porperly for SO2R SSB - which happens around here
once a year in November.  Go "U" to insure a sweep.  Get the sweep but now I
don't want to stop.  Have to stop a lot, since no stockpile of snacks and
stay-in-the-chair items stocked in advance.  All the antennas are cut for CW,
so lots of cranking the antenna tuners and non-instant band changing.  Some
year I am actually going to do this properly...maybe.  Operator error fooled
writelog into adding a 200 Q jump to the serial numbers at one point.  If you
got a S/N above 791 from me please don't pull me from your log - just log what
I sent you.

40 was typically long early both nights - signals on 80 Saturday night were
unusually strong.  Had the attenuator all the way in and the RF gain down and
guys were still very loud.  Noise levels here were decent locally which made
running easy on the low bands - when I was able to clear out some space. 15 was
much better to the left coast than last year - maybe there are a few sunspots
around after all?  Who knows, maybe a 10M contact one of these years.  Fun to
work some new blood - more checks at 00 and above than I expected - also great
to say Hi to old friends.  Lamented hearing one or more known packett cheaters
leave the band they were on and work VY1EI within 2 minutes of his being
spotted.  Note to log checkers: cross-check the VY1EI log at 1700Z-1710Z
Sunday, 14.321: several folks there deserving a DQ.  Also "fun" to observe the
crmudgeons change their check from year-to-year to try and mess with the rest
of us - even though it says: "The year you were first licensed," and not "Any
number you feel like."  Maybe we should DQ a few of those too.......

2X :FT-1000MP+Inrad, Acom 2000A, homebrew SO2R, Writelog, wires in the woods