[3830] SS SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 17 11:48:54 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WA

   20: 1134

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

This score is a new personal best in SS by a significant margin.  In previous
years, I have come close to reaching the magic 2K Q count, but always seem to
just miss it.  This time, strong participation and band conditions allowed a
steady rate throughout the weekend with no Sunday doldrums.

Speaking of participation, it was great to work many ’07 and ’08 checks.
Nice to see so many new hams have embraced contesting, especially SS!

Got off to a rough start at the open, but that’s typical in this contest.
Crowded bands and aggressive enforcement measures by the “silent net”
police on 20m meant constant maneuvering.  It was nice to leave the chaos of
20m for a while Sunday afternoon and spend time in the wide open spaces of 15m.
 I sure miss 10m.

The sweep was harder to achieve this year.  By Sunday afternoon, I was still
missing three sections:  NL, NT, and PR.  NL found me during a run (thank you
VO1SA!), but I had to find NT and PR.  I got a chuckle from the PR station that
gave a choice of 94 or 95 for the check.  I picked 94, and worked another PR
station as insurance – just in case my pick was wrong.

Thank you to all for the Q.  Happy Thanksgiving.

73 de Mitch, K7RL