[3830] SS SSB W5RU(@KN5O) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 17 20:44:50 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): K1DW KN5O W5KB N5KGV
Station: KN5O

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: LA

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

We shoulda' read the manual on N1MM in more detail.  Had two stations, one for
run and the other for S&P.  In the process, we managed to mess up the database.
 Guess we should violate the rule that says "Never do today what you can put off
until tomorrow!"  Anyway, we had fun.  New radios, new antennas, new computers,
new folks contesting and a bigger learning curve.  And as the saying goes,
there is always next year.

Some big surprises were:

1. Running into AE5T towards the end of the contest and learning we were
separated by only 20 Q's for our Section/Class.  This is a big deal since the
ham population density here in swampland is miniscule compared to the NE and
West Coast corridors. Plus not always a lot of competition for the M/U classes.
 Guess it'll come down to the error rate to see how we both did.

2. Learning the QRP-Master, Al Sinopoli, KC5R, (who is only 4 miles away from
us as the crow flies and who looks like will "three-peat" his overall winning
of the QRP Class), claimed 100 more Q's on 15M than we did - running only 5
watts!  Geez, we gotta be doing something really, really wrong here!  (In
fairness, guess we should also mention he seems to have beaten W6YI's claimed
Q-count on 15M as well, so now we don't feel so bad.)

3.  Getting VI, PR, NL, ND and NT without having to fight pile-ups.  What
happened here?  That is really strange.  Sometimes were lucky and they drop in
your lap.. But when you have to go look for'em, you expect to loose valuable
time in pile-ups.

Anyway, we did better on 80M than on 40M compared to last year at this QTH when
it was run by KN5O Sinlge-OP Unlimited.  Although, we think we waited too long
to switch bands and establish a run frequency early which cost us points and
time.  QRM on 20M and 40M seemed especially bad.. Do you think it could be
because we were driving two antennas, one to the NE and the other to the NW,
hmmm?  Perhaps that was not such a bright strategy to have employed this year.

So thanks to all of you who gave us Q's.. Congrats to the Section/Division
Leaders/Winners and the guys who make the Top 10 in Class.  We'll see ya' in
the next contest(s) for sure - assuming the XYLs let us go out and play.

W5RU - DeltaDX Association and member Louisiana Contest Club
(OPs, K1DW-Dallas, KN5O-Ted, W5KB-Keith, N5KGV-Ed)