[3830] SS SSB K6VVA SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 20 22:12:50 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: RF Hole
Operating Time (hrs): 4:11

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Although I was QRL with other matters, I turned on the rig shortly after SS
started just to have a proverbial listen.

Almost on the same frequency were AK, MAR & ND Mults.  This got the adrenalin
flowing a bit so I put on my headset and jumped in.  I worked AL9A & VY2TT
right away but ND got away.

Shortly thereafter, I ran across VE8EV in NT.  In spite of him C-L-E-A-R-L-Y
saying 'Who's the Victor Victor Alpha?' several big signal {explicative
deleted} LIDS kept slamming away and the VE8 came back to one of them.

Selfish out-of-turn-caller LIDS have always been my biggest distaste for ham
radio (especially DXing). Before my blood pressure went through the roof, I
turned everything off while muttering 'What a bunch of {multiple explicatives
deleted}' and realized again why I so dislike SSB anymore.  I went back to
doing more important non-radio things and life became more peaceful again.

However, I did get back on later for several short stints and found fewer LIDS
on 75m in the evening hours.  Also made a few Q's as KL8C/W6 LP with a hand
mike from Locust Peak while up there briefly on Sunday afternoon.  Too many
requests for repeats using LP, so I signed off and enjoyed the Sunset with a YL
friend who made the trek with me (which was partially a Recon mission in advance
of the arduous tasks of installing a bunch of Waterbars on the steep 1.3 mile
dirt road two days later).  It will be interesting to see how these road water
erosion mitigation efforts play out in the next big storm.

73 & Tnx for the Q's...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust