[3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 27 18:14:35 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba

  160:  145    10       25
   80:  315    20       65
   40: 1150    27       91
   20: 2520    27      111
   15: 1150    27       65
   10:   20     7       10

I made a quick trip to Aruba for the CQWW Phone contest.  I spent my first two
days setting up the station and temporary antennas and everything worked except
for an intermittent problem with my station computer.  Fortunately, I had
brought my notebook computer and one USB to serial port converter with me.
Since I had only had one serial port converter, I had to manually enter the
frequency of any second radio contacts making SO2R inconvenient.  I had a
little free time on Friday before the contest so I did get to enjoy the beach
for one day of my vacation.  There are usually a number of stations on in Aruba
during any contest, however this year I was the only active contester.  I saw
AI6V / P40V at the grocery store before the contest and he planned on operating
20m single band, but he was only on for a short time.  While it was fun being
“rare”, I don’t think that it offered any scoring advantage.  I still had
to work to find multipliers and I missed six easy ones since I did not work my
own country on any band.   Conditions on 160m and 80m were quiet and very good.
 Conditions on 40m were also very good to most areas of the world and I spent
most of my nights running stations on this band.  During the day, 20m had
fantastic openings to most areas of the world, however it was very crowded.
Even with the heavy QRM, I did mange exceed 200 QSOs per hour for five hours on
Saturday and I made most of my contacts on this band.  Conditions on 15m were
not good.  The band was open a little and I spent a lot of time slowly working
stations hoping to find multipliers.  On Sunday afternoon, 15m did finally open
nicely into the US and I had my quickest hour of the contest working 292
stations.  10m was a real challenge as expected for this time of the solar
cycle.  I found a few stations to work, however no one answered my CQs.  Only
two stations made it into my log on all six bands – K1DG and HK3RA  K1DG was
my only US contact on 10m.  This was my 9th consecutive CQWW Phone contest from
Aruba and it was very enjoyable.  Please send your QSLs to WD9DZV.  Sadly, I
have listed my home for sale and I will eventually not have a station to
operate from in Aruba.

73,
John
john at p40a.com