[3830] CQWW CW WX3B SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 30 19:58:28 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MDC

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   70    15       53
   40:    1     1        1
   20:   54    50       18
   15:    0     0        0
   10:    0     0        0

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Skiing...and contesting in the same weekend.  It doesn't get much better than
that!

My favorite radio hightlight was keeping NI1N company at W3LPL from 3:00am to
7:00am on 80 meters.  It is a real pleasure watching Tom in action on his
favorite band.  He has a mental master.dta of 80 meter operators that really
helps him pull call signs through the QRM and QSB.

Tom got a few letters of a Japanese station and wrote the entire call sign down
and worked him.  I asked how he knew it was that guy, and he told me he
reconizes JAs by their tell-tale sound (I don't hear many JAs at WX3B) and
there are only a few 'regulars' to work, so he recognizes them.

I also marveled at the K9AY beverage management system in use on 80m.  NI1N adn
N3KS have been telling me how great this device is.

Each operator gets their own control panel to select beverage directions by
pushing a neatly labled button.  Want to hear in more than one direction?  Push
multiple buttons!  I'm going to have to get one of these gadgets.  It's a lot
more efficient than twisting a knob, and it has a built in preamp.

On the family front, I took Alex skiing at Roundtop and we followed that by a
thanksgiving feast!

Looking forward to...more snow...and...more contesting!

73,

Jim  WX3B