[3830] CQ WW RTTY K6GEP SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 1 00:05:58 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA

   80:  128  158       40     11    11
   40:  149  233       38     27    17
   20:  163  286       35     33    18
   15:   11   21        4      6     6
   10:    1    1        1      1     1
Total:  452  699      118     78    53  Total Score = 174,051

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This is my 3rd entry in CQWW, and this was the best one yet!  Fantastic openings
to Europe on 20 and 40, and fairly quiet condix on 40 and 80.  Good JA
participation.  I managed 40 QSO's more than last year, and about 50,000
points more.

I tried several times to run, and was unsuccessful, except for the very early
morning on 80.  About 98% S&P.

I think I need to switch to 40M much sooner, maybe 2300z or so.  Without the
2 elements pointed east like I had on 20M last year, I really struggled there.

I still am having internal struggles between my DXer side, and my contester
side.  The DXer in my usually wins, that is why I spent 30 min to get the HB0.

I noticed clusterings of contest clubs with great participation: VE7, VE3 and
Kansas.

Where did the superstations in ZL go?  Glad ZL2BR put them on the air.

LOTS of new ones on RTTY, and now I have 97 worked!

All time new one HB0 - AWESOME!

New on RTTY - LX, BD, GI, LY, LZ, and J69

The one that got away: T42T

I saw one station was sending his call with a Zero instead of letter O, which
made a 2 digit number for a USA station.  I was wondering why N1MM wasn't
highlighting the call!  I told him, and he got it fixed in his macro.

Very frustrated by a lid in HB0 pileup who would not respond to the 599 14.
I think the numbers confused him.  HB0 was frustrated too.

Rig:
FT-990

Ants:
80 meter dipole sloping from 50 feet