[3830] Oceania SSB ON5KQ SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 5 12:30:04 EDT 2008

                    Oceania DX Contest, Phone

Call: ON5KQ
Operator(s): ON5KQ
Station: ON5KQ

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: jo11of
Operating Time (hrs): 6h30m

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:  40     16
   20:   0      0
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  40     16  Total Score = 3,120

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Relaxed testing of the station in phone...
After 19:30UTC it became very slow and I just worked several DX stations
outside the contest (5X4X, VU2,CE, CY2, etc...)

Changed some settings in the homebrew amp to ensure very clean SSB operation -
now it seems to clean, as constantly people start calling just 1.5kHz next to
me. At a powerlevel of 1kW with 4ele antenna, it is strange, why people think a
freqency to close to me will be a good running frequency for them.

Signal strength seem to be sufficient, although still having a hard time to
compete against the large yagi antenna set-ups of big-gun clubstation with just
verticals...

Condx were very bad ! Very high noise levels were reported from many people,
but additionally due to the storm and heavy rain, occasionally I had very high
rain static as well. Please excuse me, if I missed your call - the
circumstances at the Belgian coast were rather harsh - at some time, my antenna
was more a horizontal, rather a vertical array (storm!)

Result is ok for me, considering my limited set-up and western Belgian
location

Rig: FT-1000MP
Amp: homebrew 1kW out
Ant: 4ele Vertical (4square, 120degree crossfire phasing)

tnx,
Ulli
www.on5kq.be
www.qrz.com/on5kq