[3830] CaQP VE6CNU SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 5 18:34:20 EDT 2008

                    California QSO Party

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: Calgary

  160:
   80:   22     11
   40:   80     49
--------------------

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

This was much harder than expected as usually there is a pipeline between
California and Alberta.  It started out on Sunday morning with hearing almost
no Cal stations - just east coast and DX.  California started coming in about
noon local time (2 hours into the contest) but the QSB was dreadful.  Things
never really got rolling on 20m and by 3:30PM local I switched to 40m.  It was
still tough sledding and due to some loud SWL stations, there was almost no SSB
activity to speak of on 40m - that I could hear.  After dark, I switched to 80m
and it was just like the other bands - weak signals and QSB.  It didn't take
long to work the big guns and then S&P was dismal.  I tried calling CQ hear and
there but never made any real runs.  About 10PM local time there was nothing on
any band, so I gave up for the night.  My optimism about Sunday was quickly
gone after turning on the radio about 8AM and hearing nothing on any band.  I
came back a couple hours later and there was some activity on 40m.  Things
never got going all day long, so I was happy to have made 400 QSOs. The sad
thing was that I was running about 400W with my new FL-7000 amp and last year I
made over 600 QSOs barefoot.  I guess I should be happy I had the amp or my
score would have been significantly lower.

This year I missed 5 counties:  COLU, HUMB, LAKE, SIER, and TEHA.  There were
several that I only heard once or twice.

One word of advice to those operating in severe QSB conditions.  Keep it short!
 Too often a station would reply by giving my call and QSL or CFM, before giving
his reply.  By that time, he was gone!

Thanks again to all those who persevered as they probably thought I had no
ears. The lead curtain kept waving back and forth and a lot of the time, I'm
sure people heard me better than I heard them.  All I can say is for them to
come up here and see what it is like for themselves.  Fast solar winds are
deadly the farther north you go.

73,

Jerry VE6CNU