[3830] CaQP WI2E SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 5 21:49:15 EDT 2008

                    California QSO Party

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: PA

   20:   49     18
--------------------
Total:  103     18  Mults = 36  Total Score = 12,420

After a long hiatus from ham radio, I very much enjoyed working the CQP for the
first time in twelve years. I operated in two 1.5 hour stints with a few
additional QSOs scattered across the weekend. My first period commenced at
0300Z on Sunday and the second followed at 1800Z.  Conditions on 20-80M seemed
challenging from here in eastern Pennsylvania--at least for me.  For example,
despite working everything I could hear, only 11% of my 121 QSOs were completed
with stations having fewer than 400 QSOs. When I dropped down to low power
myself--I've been testing my new station here--only the loudest came right back
to me and many CQ'd again as I called.  Certainly, my antenna farm could benefit
from some gain (I have two verticals on my small, suburban lot: a DX Engineering
43 ft. vertical and a Hy-Gain AV-14AVQ), but it seemed I was only working the
high power contingent while the big low power group was almost entirely
uncopyable.  I'll be working the PA QSO Party this weekend from Northampton
County, and I think this experience means I'll be running the amp. I hope to
work everyone again then!

73,
Joe

WI2E (and WI2E/3 in the PA QSO Party)