[3830] CaQP K6GEP SOFixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 7 23:20:41 EDT 2008

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: ORAN

  160:    5      1
   80:   97     59
   40:  119     38
   20:  140     46
--------------------

Club: Orange County Radio Club

Comments:

Last year I really beat myself up over my 452 QSO's.  This year, I am glad
that I hit my goal of 500 with 511 QSOs, even with the poor conditions.

Last year I had a second wire up as a reflector for my 20M dipole (pointed
east) and I think I really suffered for it, especially on phone.  I could not
get
a run going on 20M SSB at any time.  In addition to that, the QSB was bad
on 20, especially at the beginning of the contest (K index > 3).

I was under-whelmed with the 0700z rally time on 160.  Where was everyone?
On the other hand, seemed like 75 was filled with M/M stations at midnight.

I made a good choice to switch to 40 M earlier, like around 2230.  That worked
well.

Seemed like I had a rash of dupes early Sunday morning.  Maybe operator
shifts on M/M stations?

My CW copying skills seemed better this year, but the scoring process will
have the final word on how I did.  SCLA vs SCRU always throws me.

Lessons Learned:
I woke up too late on Sunday morning and got on the air at 1440z (7:40 local).
I had a really good rate going on 40.  I think I missed a lot of Q's earlier,
and that I need to get up at 6AM.

What really bit me was some new technology at my local Marie Callendars.  I
wanted to make a fast "to go" order at Marie's and they have a new online
ordering system on their website.  I even paid online to make things go
faster.
I waited a good 30 minutes before driving to the restaurant.  I told them
"I would like to pick up my online order."  "What online order?" they said.
They got the FAX, but they did not get the accompanying phone call to alert
them.  So that cost me an extra 20 minutes with cooking time, all in that
precious 0300z hour.

I tried to keep a 2-1 ratio of CW vs Phone QSO's throughout the contest.  When
the ratio got out of whack, I worked on the other mode.

----------------

Thanks for all the people putting their states on the air.  It was fun to
be called by CU2JT with speedy confirm on LOTW.

Mults missed:
       NT ND MS NH VT QC SC and AK

Congrats to KQ6ES for edging me out for an excellent score in our LP category.

Rig:
FT-990

Ants:
80 meter dipole sloping from 50 feet