[3830] PaQP W3USA Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 14 17:31:24 EDT 2008

                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W3USA
Operator(s): AC8E, K8MR
Station: W3USA

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 16 Counties

  160:
   80:   20      9
   40:  351     84
   20:   66      0
    2:           1
-------------------------------------
Total:  437     94      0        0  Mults = 83  Total Score = 71,038.5

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

By county:

      CW   SSB
MER   36    24
LAW   20     2
BUT   20     7
ARM   20     4
INN   21    14
CMB   34     3
BLA   33     2
HUN   20     4
CEN   20     1
CLE   26    12
JEF   34     2
CLA   20     0
FOR   25     1
WAR   39     0
VEN   25     3
CRA   41    18

Tot  437    94

53 Sections/Provinces/DX  (including EPA and WPA)
30 Counties

I had debated about whether to do both days of the PaQP, and finally decided
that it is not much fun to drive for six hours after dark when your only real
band is 80 meters.  So we settled for a Sunday only effort, which was a very
fortunate decision given the G3 class geomagnetic storm on Saturday.

The bands (i.e. 40) had some spotty openings in state, but would come and go in
no time at all.  I was working N3NTJ from Blair county with a good signal, and
had him say he needed Huntingdon which was less than half a mile away. But
before we got there, he was gone.  I called and got an answer and report from
K3YTL in Cameron on 40CW, but before he could get my number the band took a
dump and he couldn't finish the qso.  Missed that county. 20 was mostly poor,
with only 2 qsos from California. (Are you W6's still all tired out after
CQP?)

Finally about 2100z things got going well just as we were leaving rare Forest
county. For the rest of the contest we had rates over 100/hr, and a lot of new
multipliers like NB, NNY, MDC(!), and several new counties, but it was too
little too late.

At least it was an absolutely beautiful, pleasantly warm day to see the fall
colors in PA, always a highlight of mobiling in the PaQP.

So the mobile gear has been packed away until the Michigan QSO Party six months
for now.  See you then, as well as from my single op, multi-station effort in CW
SS, from PJ2T in CQWW CW, and in lots of other contests this winter.

73  -  Jim  K8MR