[3830] CQWW SSB SU1KM(N5ZO) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 22:12:34 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: SU1KM
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: SU1KM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Near Cairo, Egypt

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:  139    50       13
   20:  672    80       21
   15: 1489    75       21
   10:   38    19       11
------------------------------
Total: 2338   224       66  Total Score = 2,002,740

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

As 75/80 m is currently not allowed in SU-land and quickly put-up 160 m double
trap sloper never tuned anywhere near 160 m band on crowded roof I just skipped
those bands alltogether,  (Well, I called some guys during 1st night on 160 m
but nobody ever answered.)  40 m here was surprisingly difficult with near roof
dipole and low power.  I felt that I needed at least one, beam or kW to even
work Europe.  I heard everywhere on 40 but nobody heard me, and CQing did not
produce any QSOs on that band.  (I think CW would have been much more
productive even with this set-up.)  So I decided to have good nights sleep on
2nd night, which kept me more alert on 2nd day, wise decision I think.  Seems
like here, as soon as 20 opens across the Atlantic, it becomes very difficult
to work anyone on that band, at least with low power.  10 never opened anywhere
else than South here.  Best band was 15 as I expected and I just hang there as
long as possible.  I did not pay attention to mults as low bands were out of
play anyway, and this was more like making zone 34 available effort from the
start.  I had some great runs on 15 m and it was fun band and worked quite well
with low power.

Equipment:
FT-950 (and IC-756 for listening with loop antenna on 40, as Yaesu radio did
not have listening antenna connector)
3 element tribander and 40 m dipole near roof-top

Thanks a lot for Mohammed SU1KM for allowing me to guest operate from his fine
shack and home, and making it possible to do the CQ WW contest from zone 34, my
12th zone.

73 Marko N5ZO/OH6DO