[3830] CQWW SSB W4PM SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 22:46:51 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: VA

   40:  175    24       82

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten Tec Omni VII, Ameritron ALS-600 500 watts
Antenna: Extended Double Zepp up 60'

This was my first SSB contest in 10 to 15 years.  Since I normally only operate
CW I had to look up the frequency allocations to make sure I didn't transmit in
the wrong place. They sure have changed!  I remember when working EU stations
and most other DX required 100% split operation on 40.  Now I find the EU
stations can operate all the way up to 7.200. That's nice and will be better
when and if the broadcast stations ever move out of the 7.100 to 7.200
segment.

Apparently there is no CW only allocation in most DX locations because I found
stations operating all the way down to 7.010.  Some of my friends report
hearing stations down to 7.002. It seems to me, the contest organizers should
make a rule to avoid at least 7.000 to 7.030 for this contest and disqualify
those who break the rule. Believe it or not we still have quite a few CW
operators (take a listen to a CW contest if you don't believe it) and we should
at least leave a small segment for CW only operations!  It's tough to use the
band for CW in the midst of wall to wall strong SSB signals.  This is made
worse by the fact that many of these SSB contest operators apparently believe
the way to set up a SSB rig is to crank the mic gain and processing to maximum.
 There were sure a lot of wide signals splatering across the band.  Don't these
guys realize how much harder it is to read a badly distorted signal especially
when many of the operators use English as a second or third language.  It's
easier to copy a weaker signal with good audio than a stronger signal that has
lousy audio!

We could also fit a lot more signals in a small space if we didn't have those
10 kHz wide signals splattering across the band! You would think we could show
a litte compassion our fellow operators and try to operate our stations in a
manner which generates the cleanest signal we can muster.

I doubt if I will even do another SSB contest again but only because I enjoy CW
much more and my ears don't take the abuse they do in a SSB test.  I find I can
do a lot more with much less on CW rather than SSB and not having maximum QRO
and big antennas this is a definate plus to me for CW operations. I spent a lot
of time for relatively few QSO's on SSB. On second thought, I may try this again
next year.  Perhaps the 7.100 to 7.200 segmant will be clearer and more station
will take advantage of this space and get out of the CW segment. Maybe some
will actually learn how to properly set up a SSB rig for great audio. It will
be interesting to see.

All that being said, it was an enjoyable and enlightening experience and I
thank all the stations who finally were able to copy my call sign and put me in
their logs.

73,
Puck, W4PM