[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 08:57:36 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   15:  568    27       98

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After an exhausting week at work, didn't have much left in the tank for the WW.
I started operating at 1340Z Saturday and it appeared that the band was just
opening in a meaningful way to EU. The opening was confined to southern EU, by
and large, but there was sporadic E to VE1/VY2 and OH8L had an S9+ signal
around 1415Z which is about when I poached VU7JY who was no problem to work at
S7. G and DL were as rare as VU7 Saturday as my only Q's were G5W and DR5Z.
Condx to SA were poor and noticeably so around 1830Z, but late in the afternoon
around 20Z Saturday and 2030Z Sunday things really picked up. Around 20-21Z both
days was the best time to work the Caribbean. I didn't log TO4X, VP2EC, and
VP2V/K9NW until late Sunday due to long skip; KP4, ZF and CM were never heard.
I found 3B8FC Saturday so weak he was attracting no attention (nice to catch
one the mob has missed) and very slowly accumlated African mults and zones not
working TR8CA until Sunday afternoon. All the African zones were worked except
34.
  Sunday, there were plenty of fairly weak Europeans by 12Z and from
1245-1355Z, 15 sounded like the band of old with enourmous sigs from Western
and central Eu. I fired up around 21348 and had that spot to myself until
around
1330Z when the interlopers tried unsuccessfully to dislodge me. The rate meter
hit at least as high as 222 and several times the last 5 Q's were all the same
time, twas fun! The switch was thrown at 1355 and the lights went out on any
fast runs the rest of the day. Best condx to EU after that were right around
16Z-17Z when the Italians were the loudest of the contest with EA and F thrown
in for good measure. Around 15Z, EU was very weak allowing plenty of time to
S&P
A73A (weak), J28JA, and 9K2HN. VU2PAI answered a CQ for my 2nd zone 22 country,
never thought that would happen. As of mid-afternoon Sunday, I had no rare
Pacific DX in the log. Thanks to W3LPL who's always loud here and gave the call
of who he was working, I caught ZK2HD. Later, at 23Z, found AH0BT who heard me
after about 2 minutes of calling his CQ's. Also heard KL7RA a bit too late to
work and heard no JA's, but may have missed the opening, not a full time effort
especially late in day.
  I have had an intermittent 15M SWR problem which became permanent Sunday, but
it didn't hurt that magic 13Z run too much; I'd guess, I was doing about as well
as the big guns. Also had slow rotation in 1 direction with slightly unreliable
azimuth indication. Condx were a hoot compared to what they could have been and
should be much better in '09, see you then!