[3830] TxQP W0BH/M SO Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 17:15:54 EDT 2008

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: W0BH/M
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH/M

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: 33 TX counties

  160:
   80:    26     0
   40:   370   134
   20:   852   190
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1248   324      0  Mults = 114  Total Score = 534,688

(Sorry for the very late post. It took awhile to unscramble my log file, and
then an upcoming QST article took all of my writing attention for awhile. But
finally ... )

Roving the 2008 Texas QSO Party: Bridge Out!

Roving a state QSO party is so much fun, that in my memory at least, it hardly
seems like half a year has passed since Oklahoma, Nebraska and Missouri. And
how could I forget last year in Texas?  We finished out the TQP operating from
the back of a flatbed tow truck!  So here it is, 2008, and another chance to
make it past the infamous freeway bridge in Potter County near Amarillo where
the van fuel pump electronics died and left us five counties short.

The '91 Chevy Astro van, ICOM 706MkIIG, and Hustler vertical setup stayed the
same and included three triple-mag mounts on the roof: front 40CW/20CW/15, rear
40SSB/20SSB/10, and center 80CW. Two Dell laptops were used, one laptop running
NA for logging, keying and rig control, and one laptop running DeLorme GPS
software which was already programmed with the route from last year.  Hale
county was added as an overnight stop to bring the county total to 34.

My driver this trip was Wendell, N0KZV.  Wendell is an Airline Transport Pilot
/ jet flight instructor and definitely knows how to follow a GPS and "flight"
plan!  New or improved equipment included an MFJ digital voice keyer, a Heil
noise-canceling headset with several ferrites attached and an audio-to-FM
converter, which let Wendell listen to the action over the FM radio (worked
great).  We headed out after work on Friday and enjoyed excellent operating
conditions as we tested out the equipment.  The only scare was finding the gas
pump nozzles covered at the first gas station we stopped at in Guymon,
Oklahoma.  I’d heard about gas shortages in Texas after Hurricane Ike, but
fortunately (for us) it was a pump problem and other stations had plenty of
gas.

Saturday

After an overnight in Guymon, Wendell and I headed south to Texas on a
beautiful cloudless and windless day.  We were determined to stay on schedule
by starting at the HANS/HUTC county line and almost made it.  With just a few
miles to go, the TQP started and we were off.  Conditions were excellent on
both 40m and 20m and I soon had an idea of who was going to "ride along" with
us during the weekend. After a nice run, we continued on and I went to 40m SSB
for the first time.  Texas was coming in nicely and then all the sudden it
wasn’t.  I quickly checked 20m which was OK, so I assumed something bad
happened to my 40m resonator and we stopped.  Nothing obvious, so I changed it
out for a spare, made a quick tuning adjustment, and we were back in business.

I always look forward to county line stops, so as we pulled up to the Roberts /
Hemphill / Gray / Wheeler stop I was ready for a run, and Wendell got his first
listen to some serious fun on both CW and SSB.  The rates were so good
(200-300, 380 peak), that I didn’t even take time to fix the extra dit in the
memory keyer I used to send the third county.  I kept sending "EH 599 ROBE"
instead of "ES 599 ROBE." I remember I had trouble programming it because
several were calling me after I sent "Wait" and I couldn’t hear my keyer. I
tried several times and finally went with what I had, hoping it was right.

After overstaying our schedule, we headed out on a dirt road as indicated by
the GPS.  Since I’d previously programmed the route, I assumed it was
accurate although the road got much worse and I certainly didn’t recall it
from the year before.  As we bumped up and down some serious Texas hill
country, we could see the road we needed to get to, and the GPS said there was
a road to get there, but there wasn’t.  All roads kept turning away from
where we wanted to go. We finally decided we were cruising some "new" gas and
oil roads and headed back out the way we came, arriving back at the four-county
line an hour later with the GPS now showing the obvious route out.  The first
time, the GPS had calculated an alternate route thinking we’d missed the turn
.. a scenic route to be sure.  Although we were behind schedule, at least N1LN
and N4PN benefited from our mistake since they still needed three of the four
counties. N1LN even got three more Qs on a second band before we moved on.

The day continued, but we were now an hour behind schedule.  We decided to skip
Foard county, knowing that at least one other mobile was scheduled there.
Recalculating the route (what did we ever do without a GPS?) now put us 20
minutes ahead of schedule when we crossed into Cottle county and saw our first
"Bridge Out Far Ahead" sign.  What did that mean?  The detour took us very much
the wrong way, so we forged "far ahead" (maybe another 5-10 miles) before the
bridge in question appeared with no detour and a big "Road Closed" sign.
Driving closer, we saw that a very impressive ramp with similarities to a big
roller coaster drop had been cut down to the riverbed for use by heavy
equipment.  A similarly impressive up was on the other side.  I kept operating
while Wendell got out of the van to investigate.  As luck would have it, the
riverbed appeared dry, and the other side didn’t seem quite as steep as the
ride down, so after looking at me a couple of times, Wendell decided to go for.
I wish we had a movie of the crossing, but we somehow made it up the other side.
 I remember telling Wendell to punch it just as we crossed the river. The Astro
with 256,000 miles has another story to tell!

Other than a logging computer crash and a scrambled log file (changed out for a
backup from the previous county), the only other major challenge was the RTTY
contest on 40m. Loud RTTY stations were spread out as low as 7027 and TQP
participants tried (often unsuccessfully) to stay above 7025, so it was a zoo
on 40m CW.  I finally went back to 7048, called anyway and to my surprise, got
a very nice run going in spite of RTTY all around.

We now found ourselves in Motley county facing another "Bridge Out Ahead" sign
and no detour.  This time Wendell didn’t even slow down.  We hoped our turn
just a short distance ahead came before the bridge.  No such luck and once
again we found a "Road Closed" sign and a ramp (not nearly so steep this time).
 Fearlessly "down then up then onward" .. our new motto!  We ended the day with
530 miles on the van and 952 Qs (I found out later after recovering the
scrambled log), thanks to a nice run on 80m CW the last hour.

Sunday

Sunday morning found us in the town of Plainview in Hale county.  Both Wendell
and I appreciated the 9:00 am start time since we’d gotten in late after
another real genuine bridge detour and a good supper the night before.  After I
plugged in the equipment and turned on the power, I was greeted with no "OK" and
stream of dits from my keyer.  This had happened in Guymon as well, but after I
unplugged the computer interface and plugged it back in, the dits stopped so I
thought nothing more of it.  This time the problem didn’t go away and again
nothing obvious, so I swapped out the keyer with a spare only to find the same
problem.  It must be the MFJ travel paddle or the cable, and it was .. a break
in the cable at the plug.  Since it was almost start time and I didn’t want
to take the time to solder on a new plug, I bent and wire-tied the cable so
that the continuous dits went away and it worked the rest of the day.  Memo to
self .. bring along a second paddle in the future!

The final six hours seemed to fly by with 100-plus hourly rates.  I was
especially looking forward to driving by the Potter county bridge where we
unfortunately spent so much time last year.  This year we didn’t miss the
truck parking / rest area and found ourselves stopped in sight of the bridge.
I worked both John, N6MU and Paul, N4PN who remembered last year as I told them
where we were.  This time the van started, we drove under "the Bridge," and
Wendell drove us through some really nice "new" country.  Other than a bee
landing on my <Esc> key and some cockleburr surprises, no further adventures or
bridge closings appeared as we made it to the final Sherman/Moore county line
and a great outdoor lunch after the closing bell.

Stats

We operated 17 hrs 22 min, 1572 Qs, 342 unique calls, 23 dupes, 1374 miles,
32¢/qso

States not worked     : ME RI KY AK UT WY ND SD
Canadian mults worked : ON BY SK AB BC
TX worked             : 62
DX worked             : CU LY DL OK SM HA

QSO Breakdown

       CW   PH                           *KK5LO and W3DYA
      ---------------
80     26    0 =   26                    Bonus
40    370  134 =  504                    county bonus  33000
20    852  190 = 1042                    mobile bonus   1000*
      ---------------
     1248  324 = 1572 Qs and 114 mults   Final score: 534688

County Breakdown (in visited order)

Saturday                      Sunday
1   HANS   40  Hansford       22  HALE  47  Hale
2   HUTC   26  Hutchinson     23  SWIS  53  Swisher (10 on Saturday)
3   OCHI   27  Ochiltree      24  CAST  73  Castro
4   LIPS   37  Lipscomb       25  PARM  52  Parmer
5   HEMP   78  Hemphill       26  DSMI  53  Deaf Smith
6   ROBE   69  Roberts        27  RAND  50  Randall
7   WHEE   60  Wheeler        28  POTT  41  Potter
8   GRAY  122  Gray           29  OLDH  69  Oldham
9   CARS   39  Carson         30  HART  64  Hartley
10  ARMS   25  Armstrong      31  DALM  57  Dallam
11  DONL   31  Donley         32  SHMN  58  Sherman
12  HALL   52  Hall           33  MOOR  29  Moore
13  COLW   39  Collingsworth
14  CHIL   26  Childress
15  HDMN   21  Hardeman
16  COTT   38  Cottle
17  KING   34  King
18  DICK   61  Dickens
19  MOTL   52  Motley
20  FLOY   18  Floyd
21  BRIS   31  Briscoe

Special thanks to the following ops for 10 or more contacts:

40	N4PN
39	N6MU
34	N1LN
29	WA3HAE NX5M
25	W9IU
24	KO1U
21	N3RJ   W4PM   N3UM
20	N4OX   K3TW   N8SS   K4ZGB
17	KN4Y   K7BG   W0EAR
16	K5LH   W3CP   K8MFO  KB9OWD
15	K8QWY  DL3DXX N3KR   K3TX   K4AMC  N5DO
14	W2LHL  W2CVW  VE3KP  K8CW
13	W1DWA
12	LY2ZZ  W4HSA  WA2VQV KS5A
11	N3DXX  W4RQ   HA7UG
10	W7GVE  NF4A

Texas Mobiles worked

9	W3DYA/m
8	KK5LO/m
7	N5BA/m
5	N5NA/m
4	KB5U/m  N3BB/m
3	NO5W/m
2	N5XJ/m
1	K5NA/m  N5AC/m  N5UV/m  WB0TEV/m

W0BH Award Winners              Honorable Mention
Most Overall Qs : N4PN/40       N6MU/39  N1LN/34
Most CW Qs      : N6MU/39       N4PN/32  WA3HAE/28
Most PH Qs      : N1LN/9        many/8   many/6
                  N5MLP/9
Most Counties   : N6MU/29       N4PN/27  NX5M/26
                                         WA3HAE/26

Wendell and I both want to thank everyone who found us along the way and helped
make this run so enjoyable! Thanks also to the Texas QSO Party Committee for
overseeing the event and special thanks to Chuck, NO5W, for managing the
details and the logs.

Until the next one ...

73, Bob/w0bh and Wendell/n0kzv