[3830] CQWW SSB N7ZG SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 17:32:07 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7ZG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WWA

  160:    6     2        2
   80:   36    12       14
   40:   42    16       27
   20:  217    25       68
   15:  105    19       38
   10:    1     1        1

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I haven't done a serious effort in this one before from home.   So with the
exception of attending church on Sunday morning I put in a focused effort in
the chair.

Station:
--------
2 Elecraft K3's (only did SO1R, 2nd radio for checking prop)
3 element SteppIR at 60 ft.
K1WA array for 40M
Half sloper for 80/160
80M vertical half dipole w/capacitive loading in a tree (new for this year)

I decided to focus on 40 and 15 in the first hour or so.  I tuned across S57AL
on 40M warming up before the contest and worked him easily so I hung out for my
first contest Q).   I worked a French station for zone 14 and decided to move to
15.   Worked some SA mults and a few JA's on 15 and went down to 20.  Had a very
short (and only) run into JA on 20M).   The low bands were disappointing the
first night.  40 closed by about 8pm or so right after 20 died.   The only DX
on 80 was JA.   I didn't work any ZN 7,8,9,11,12,13 the first night on 75.  No
LP 40 in the morning this year.  20 opened a bit early and seemed pretty good.
The EU stations were having a tough time running with heavy QRM (everyone packed
on 20).  15 was OK but not great.  I didn't hear any ZN 24,27,28 on Sat (Sunday
made up for it).  10 never opened here (at least not when I checked).  Worked
some more EU/AF mults at about 4pm on Sat.   The low bands seemed much better
on Sat night Sun morning.  The noise levels dropped after midnight.   The
highlight of the contest was working CU2X on 75 at his sunrise fairly easily.
He had a huge signal in the PAC NW.  Also AO8A was S9+5 here but I could not
get his attention.  I worked ZN 7,8,9 mults afterward.  I did hear a PY for ZN
11 but didn't work him.  I didn't hear any ZN 11 after that and nothing from
ZN's 12 and 13.  I was expecting to hear HC8A but did not (heard on 40 but not
worked).  I didn't work all the zones I expected on 75 but that was offset a
touch by getting CU2X for ZN 14.  Nothing on 160 both nights (my antennas are
limited anyway).  Sunday mornings 20M opening seemed down compared to Sat so I
went to church.  When I got back at 2pm the only opening left was to ZN 33, EA,
CT.   Worked alot of ZN 11 and 13 stations on 15.  Hopefully this is a sign of
good things to come in the next year or so.

The A and K indexes were low for the whole contest duration.  Hope this will
repeat for the CW test.

Thanks for the Q's CU in CQWW CW.

73 - Guy, N7ZG