[3830] NA Sprint CW N9RV HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 10:37:08 EDT 2008

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MT

---------------------

Team: Mad River - North Coast

Comments:

Very strange contest.  Got my wire antenna back up on Saturday -- it was in the
way of the guys for my new tower.  Haven't been on the air at all for several
weeks and doesn't sound like I missed much.  Conditions on 20 at the start were
terrible.

Spot propagation on 20 to New England (K5ZD, K1KI and K1EA were really loud)
and to the southeast.  No California to be heard!  That's not super unusual,
but I couldn't hear Texas or W9 either!  Gave up on 20 at about 0050.  As bad
as 20 was,  40 was super.  Didn't want to leave, because I have to run barefoot
on 80 due to antenna match problems.  Was tempted to quit at that point, but
there were several big guns I hadn't worked yet.  80 was surprisingly good, and
the close to the contest was more subdued, rate-wise, but actually more fun than
running with the amp.

Very loud midwest signals out here on 80m.  N6TR was fluttery everywhere, and
I'm not sure if I ever hooked up with N6RO.  Amazing.