[3830] NA Sprint CW N3BB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 12:21:24 EDT 2008

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Austin

   80:   93     1.5
   40:  169     4.0
   20:  106     2.5
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Dashers

Comments:

The activity seemed down, but there were a lot of more casual stations answering
CQs with low-ish numbers. Conditions here were uneven on 20 meters, fantastic on
40 meters, and good on 80 meters. The casual stations seemed to be primarily on
40 meters.

20 meters was weird, and the W6 stations were pee weak at the start. They got
better but never really loud. Just when I thought 20 meters was through for the
night, there were loud answers from W8-9-0. WW2Y in NE was very strong late on
20 meters.

I worked every mult heard except for W5WMU, who was on one of the Austin Powers
teams; Pat and Charley had rebuilt three towers and replaced six yagis after
Gustav! Pat always out of synch on 40 and I never heard him once on 80 even
though I listened a lot the last hour and a half. Tnx to Pat and K5GO (AR),
WD0T (SD), K7SV (VA), W0BH (KS), VE5MX (SK), VA1MM (VE1), XE2GG (XE), WW2Y
(NE), W7RN (NV), K4FXN (KY), N4ZR (WV), N0IA (IA), W4OC (SC), and WY7N (UT) for
being on and the only station I heard or worked in their respective states.

My four hourly rates were 100, 97, 81, and 90. The last hour was a pleasant
surprise after the third hour drop off when 20 meters petered out and before 80
meters got going. 40 meters is the ever-ready bunny here and never quits. I made
at least one QSO on 40 meters in every ten minute segment in the four hours.

The noise problem here is still really bad. But it has changed a little and now
I can hear on 20 with two of the three yagis selected and with the highest one
NE and the lowest one NW. I can't use any other combination or the noise is
over S9. On 40, the noise has gotten lower and ditto on 80, where I can listen
on beverages going down a hill and away from the primary direction. All in all,
it was much better.

For some reason, and for the first time, I was ahead of the numbers received
for every station last night, with two exceptions: W4PA early and N6TR late. It
was really surprising to work N2IC and N5RZ at K5TR and send a higher number.
They probably caught me as I am sending this out before looking at 3830 at all.

We had good representation of the CTDXCC guys and it made a difference with
some contacts on 40 and 80 meters in the last hour when it can get hard to find
a new station to call/work.

All in all, I think this is a PR for me. The mults were surprisingly good as I
was afraid the entire SE and NE would be off due to Hannah. But plenty of
people were on and it was quiet here.

The Thursday evening NS practice has helped me and so many others. I must
congratulate the NCCC for this as well as the great 3830 reporting support for
the NS sessions as well as all the other contests.

Tnx to all. Great operators, a celebration of CW, and the best four hours in
ham radio for sure.

Jim George N3BB