[3830] NA Sprint CW W4AU HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 16:41:04 EDT 2008

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W4AU
Operator(s): W4AU
Station: W4AU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA

   80:   35     0.5
   40:   64     1.0
   20:   55     0.5
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: Southeast Sprint Coalition #2

Comments:

I tried an interesting experiment in last night's CW Sprint. I've
been fighting a pinched nerve in my back for over a month. The
main problems have been in my left leg and hip and not in my
back. The main result of the pain has been that I am unable to
sit for more than 10 - 30 minutes at any one time before I have
to get up and lie flat on my back or just walk around a bit.

Well, I wasn't going to let this little problem prevent me from
taking part in my favorite contest, so I devised a schedule to,
hopefully, get me through the four hours and still have some fun.
I set up a "zero-gravity" bed that a friend loaned me (actually,
it looks just like one of those swimming pool lounges...) in the
shack and retreated to that to lie down when things got too much.

I ended up actually operating about two hours total in seven
stints from six to 35 minutes. When I was operating, I maintained
good rates most of the time; it was difficult starting up after a
break, though, and getting into the swing of things. Band
conditions seemed to be excellent, except that 40 seemed very
long by the time that I got there, ~0120, after one of my
"breaks". I didn't plan things very well in some respects. I ran
out of gas at 0335 and had to sit out the last 35 minutes of the
Sprint when 80 is really smoking and where I have a decent
signal...

Thanks to KU8E for putting together a couple of Southeast Sprint
Coalition teams and for giving me some inspiration for getting on
for this contest.