[3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 17:39:48 EDT 2008

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

   80:  105    1:18
   40:  100    1:18
   20:  103    1:24
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Heard 3 mults I never worked - BC, AL, XE.  Either out of sync or lost out in a
pileup.

20 had strong signals from some areas but I could hear only one side of many
Q's I tuned across.  I probably stayed on 20 too long since there were several
times I didn't complete a couplet because no one came back to my CQ for a
couple minutes.

Pileups were tough on 40, both the ones I was in and the ones calling me.  Then
things went from feast to famine and there was no one calling.

So I headed to 80 early and was amazed that east coast stations were coming
right back to me.  Beverages really helped to reduce the hash from all the loud
stations so the weaker ones could be heard.

I listened to a second radio for about the first 5 minutes but conditions were
so poor on 20 that I turned off the other radio to eliminate the distraction
and never turned it back on.  One of these years we'll get a real SO2R box for
the station instead of a manual audio switch.

Several times I heard a second station come back to me with an exchange when I
was calling someone else.  I think most of them figured it out when I sent the
call during my exchange, but someone near the end of the Sprint gave me a "B4"
that may have been one of these that wasn't caught.

-Mike, N7MH