[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K0TV Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 15 07:27:11 EDT 2008

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NH

    2:   16     6
  222:   10     5
  432:   13     4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  106    27  Total Score = 3,483

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first VHF contest where grid squares are used as multipliers. The
last one I operated used ARRL sections, we had the whole 220 band, and 903
didn't exist.

I was expecting two rotor boxes to be back from repairs last Friday but they
didn't come. I couldn't turn the top 6 which was fixed East or the 2 meter
array which was fixed West. No horizontal arrays yet for 222 or 432 so I used
an FM vertical with low power. Luckily the two bottom 6 meter beams are fixed
Southwest.

Back in the "old days" we had activity periods for the higher bands. 220 was 8,
432 was 9, and 1296 was 10. Thinking that nothing had changed, I set up the 222
and 432 stations in the second operating room. Anytime somebody wanted to walk
me up the bands, I had to run back and forth between rooms. That will change
for the next VHF contest. I'm reconfiguring the station anyway. I don't think
I'll set this station up to do Multiop for VHF so I can put multiple bands on
the same radio.

It was nice to reconnect with a few of the old timers I used to work years ago
and I'm looking forward to getting more capability into the station. I had fun
and learned that there were more changes in the last few years than I had
thought.

Best 73,

Jerry - K0TV (ex WA1TZV for you old timers)