[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KR1ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 15 11:54:32 EDT 2008

Comments:

Rigs: IC-756ProIII (6m)
      FT-897 (2m, 70cm)
Ant: 6m - 2 element beam @ 30ft
     2m - 5 elements modified Cushcraft @ 15ft
          (A270-10s w/o 70cm elements)
     70cm - 8 elements "cheap yagi" @ 17ft

PWR: 6m - 100W, 2m - 50W, 70cm - 20W

Activity is very minimal in our area. However, I'm very excited to have worked
AA4ZZ (250 miles) and K4LY (180 miles) with my QRP 70cm setup. It's obvious who
did all the work here. :) I pretty much used my June rover setup at home. Since
I didn't bother trying to catch the early Sunday morning enhancement my score
is not as good as it could have been.

It's very hard to get folks to point their antennas in our direction because of
the low activity. That means that the excitement and motivation in our area is
virtually non existent, except for a few die hards, to work the V/UHF contests.
So the low activity really is a result of a self fulfilling prophesy.

Perhaps next time we should just set up skeds, just like rovers, so we don't
have to listen to the static for 15 hours before someone decides to point their
antenna(s) in our direction so we can work someone outside of our neighborhood.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com
http://www.airlinkexpress.org