[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 16 12:17:38 EDT 2008

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN42

    2:  28     13
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  28     13  Total Score = 364

This was my second contest effort on the summit of Mount Wachusett in Princeton,
Massachusetts at altitude 2006'.

I operated 2m only from a simple station with the following equipment:
Yaesu FT-817 and Cushcraft 3 element Yagi.
Yaesu FT-1802M and 1/4 wave vertical mag-mount.

Power:
2m USB: 2.5 Watts
2m FM: 40 Watts

Most QSOs were with the FT-817/Yagi.  This is a primitive but effective grab
and go QRP station which is on the air in less than five minutes.  The radio,
connectors and spare battery fit in a medium size camera bag. The Yagi, PVC
pipe mast, and umbrella stand base fit in the trunk.  The PVC mast is
"precision turned" by reaching out the car window and twisting by hand.

Got on the air mid-afternoon and would have about 3 hours until park closing
time (sundown) to operate.  Weather was mild and damp.  The summit was in the
clouds but temps were in the 70s and there was no rain.

I'm happy with the results and surprised at the number of squares worked.  2m
really opened up for me to the southwest into the Mid-Atlantic states and also
New York.  Next time I plan to bring a 6m dipole.

Photographs and station details here:
http://shawsheen.com/2008/arrlvhfqso/