[3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Apr 1 10:54:23 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KS9K
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: KS9K

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

Total:  990  Prefixes = 520  Total Score = 1,299,480

The theme this weekend was "noise."  "Noise" as in "energy
that does not carry desired information."

Some of the noise was caused by Mother Nature.   I had to
take three hours off time early Saturday evening because
of nearby lightning activity.  Some was caused by contesters
way overdriving their transmitters.  The buckshot on 15
meters was pretty bad from several of the South American
stations, in some cases extending 30 kHz away from their
information signal.  In fact, it was so bad I switched to
a different architecture receiver and inserted a 20dB pad
to see if it was being generated locally.  It was definitely
coming from the transmitted signals.  Finally, both nights
I noticed that 25-30 kHz of 40 meters would have a very
loud but band-limited noise, generally between 7150 and
7200.  I have no idea what it was, but it made simplex
operation impossible during those hours.  Simplex DX
on 40m is great for those with big signals, but for the
second and third tier guys working split is more effective
in snagging those  6 pointers.

Last year I at least heard a European station on 15,
none heard at all this year.  Pretty much the same score
and reasons/excuses as last year.

This will be my last contest for a while; I'm scheduled
for hand surgery right after Dayton.  It will certainly
be nice to be able to control two radios at the same
time, again.

      Continent List  2009 WPX SSB KS9K

                   160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --   ---
  USA calls   =     23   141   138    69    33     0   404
  VE calls    =      9    23    13    16     1     0    62
  N.A. calls  =      0     3     8    22    15     4    52
  S.A. calls  =      0     3    16    34    83    21   157
  Euro calls  =      0    37    41   182     0     0   260
  Afrc calls  =      0     5     7    12     5     0    29
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0    12     0     0    12
  JA calls    =      0     0     0     1     0     0     1
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     5     3     5     0    13

  Total calls =     32   212   228   351   142    25   990