[3830] EA RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 5 09:45:23 PDT 2009

                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA

   20:  524   114
   15:    1     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  954   243  Total Score = 734,589

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to the URE for sponsoring the Contest.  Had fun.

HF propagation is very interesting!  Turns out the SFI was 70, A 0 and K 0.
Not sure if I've ever seen both A and K = 0?  Even with the low SFI, 20 meters
was exceptional for the Contest.  The band produced some nice solid contacts
with the JA, VR, YB, E21, HS, KH0, HL, DV, BD, 9M6, etc.  The number of Asiatic
Russia stations worked Sunday morning (LT) made one think it was an Asiatic
Russia RTTY contest:>)  Their signals were as strong as many of the European
stations.  Also, Europe was able to be worked until 2300Z which is a lot later
than in recent contests.  The lower HF bands were good as well.  Unfortunately,
I didn't take full advantage of 40 meters early Sunday morning (LT 1000Z) as 20
m opened and didn't take the time to try 40.  Should have spent more time on 40
on Sunday morning as the points and multipliers would have been worth the
effort.

The noise heard here on 40 m was due to storms to the Northeast, which is the
favored direction to Europe from my QTH.

Fifteen and 10 meters were not good.  The only QSO on 15 was with Jose, YV6BTF.
 He had a good signal, but he was the only one heard and calling CQ didn't
produce any responses.

Thanks to all who were kind enough to work me.  All the QSOs are appreciated.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH