[3830] ARRLDX SSB WC1M SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 5 11:24:10 PDT 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WC1M
Operator(s): WC1M
Station: WC1M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH

  160:    2     2
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  688   159  Total Score = 318,159

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Just getting in under the wire for log submission. In recent years, I've
operated ARRL DX Phone from KC1XX. But as most of you know, Matt's station was
virtually destroyed by the devastating ice storm of December 2008. Wanting to
do something different for a change, I toyed with putting in the first serious
SSB effort from my home station. But last-minute scheduling conflicts precluded
that idea, and I was only able to get on for some of the peak hours to run up a
few points for the club. Could have maximized that by using packet, but wanted
to practice S&P and working the second radio.

Phone is not my favorite mode, but I have to say the changes on 40 are most
welcome. When I was able to find a spot to run above 7125, it was the most
pleasant contest experience I've had on 40 in a long time. 75m still requires
some split skills, which I lack, and antennas that work well in that part of
the band, which I also lack. But it's looking like the chances that I'll
attempt a competitive SOAB effort on SSB one of these days are improving.

73, Dick WC1M