[3830] EA RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 5 18:34:02 PDT 2009

                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC

Total:  179    93  Total Score = 36,642

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

FT-2000 + SB221 amp
N1MM + MMTTY
3 el. tribander at 30'
40M -- 2 el. half-square array E-W
80M -- 2 el. vertical array E-W

SFI=70 A=1 K=1

Casual operation Saturday. Found 13 EA mults this year. Just 2 last year.

Managed to do something to either the tribander's feedline or the SB221 on 20M.
Amp ran fine on 40 and 80, so I suspect it's yagi feedline trouble at high
power. Off to the candy store this week for LMR400 and a crimper :)

Most of my 20M time I ran 100W without issue, and I hardly noticed the
difference in power level. Reminded me that life without the amp is still good
-- fun factor is high, and I don't have to worry about TVI in the house when
beaming JA.

Tower was cranked down, but still had a great time running EU with low power
and low height (under 30').

40M played pretty well Saturday evening, but there wasn't much action. Even
less activity on 80M. Ended the evening early, got up early to see what was on
but nothing was. Played the final hour Sunday morning working a few Europeans
aiming this way on 20M.

Sunday was the first real day of spring weather -- warm, sunny, grass turning
green underfoot -- and I spent it with chainsaw and ladder carving out big
branches in preparation for a new, wider-wingspan antenna to go up in a few
weeks.

2009   179    93  36,642   9 hrs HP
2008   151    62  17,992   6 hrs HP
2007:  278   114  70,110  12 hrs HP
2006:  247   111  60,273  11 hrs LP
2005:  117    61  18,105         LP
2004:   10     8      80   1 hr  LP

73, thanks for the Qs and hope to see you in the next one.

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st