[3830] GaQP K4OD Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Apr 13 09:14:45 PDT 2009

                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: K4OD
Operator(s): K4OD
Station: K4OD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Macon, GA

  160:     0         0
   80:     0        10
   40:     0        28
   20:     0        36
   15:     0         0
   10:     0         0
    6:     0         0
------------------------
Total:     0        74  CW-Dig Mults = 0  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 2,294

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT-897D - 100 Watts to Tribander and 80/40 Dipole.

Day 1
First ever rover run with NE4S - mostly driving but made a few contacts also.
We were, initially, not going to stop in Wilcox county because it simply was
not on our list.  We re-evaluated and decided to stop just before the county
line and had an extremely good run before crossing into the next county.  We
stopped at points but, mostly, Mike ran counties on the fly while I drove.  I
like the "rover" concept but think that stopping is much more to my liking than
running on the fly.  SSB was difficult on both bands we were set up to operate
and so we made very few SSB contacts.

Day 2
Back in Macon at the QTH - Was ready at 1400Z on 20 but heard very few stations
on the band period.  I operated strictly SSB from home.  N4PN was my first
contact which is typical for us.  Murphy had his way with the bands and the
contacts were few and far between as I opted to spend time with family as well.
 Forty was almost a total loss on SSB as was 80 meters.

BUT!

I had more fun than a human being ought to be allowed on my frst ever rover
run.  Mike is an entertaining host and he has a great setup in his truck.
Plans are in the works for a mobile antenna for the Grand Marquis and I guess
I'll have to build some sort of operating position for the FT-897D and put an
extra battery in parallel with the main battery but I have an entire year to do
it.  Mike's logging program seemed to work flawlessly though I did note him
making a few jots on his pad for future changes and improvements.  Yep, the old
man(Mike) and the longhaired hippy(Gordon) had a blast.  We can only bow our
heads and pray to the sunspot gods that next year will see a marked improvement
in band conditions.  Pics to be uploaded to Mike soon.