[3830] JIDX CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Apr 13 11:56:05 PDT 2009

                    JIDX CW Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:   4      4
   20:  44     24
   15:  34     22
Total:  82     50  Total Score = 4,100

Club: CHILTERN DX CLUB.

Comments:

As others have said - SFI 69, A index 10, K index 1, - says it all really, it
was bound to be a struggle on hf for any stn outside a radius from JA of 2k km
or so, and so it proved.

Other than an hour late Saturday afternoon I could only manage to get on for
the mornings. I guess 40mtrs was the 'money band' but my 'contest widow' of the
past few weekends insisted that we do some social thing Saturday evening so I
shall never know!

20mtrs, there were some very big JA signals at the bottom end who were breaking
windows here the whole time I was on but finding stn's other than those big guns
was hard work!

15mtrs, JA is too far 'North' to provide reliable communication this far west
and there were just a few brief narrow windows when we got propagation but the
big surprise for this juncture in the solar cycle was that stn's around the
equatorial SE Asia region were audible for most of the time. In fact I can't
recall ever hearing stronger signals from Zone 27 where KG6, KH0, AH2 were like
Beacons for hours on end. Those guys seemed to be doing single band (unless they
were multi op) and I reckon they will post some pretty big scores for what
overall I guess will be a pretty low scoring contest.

As I was having such a hard time on 15 I never even listened on 10mtrs and am
pretty sure that I didn't miss anything.

We never fail to be surprised by something or other propagation does to change
the rules each time we hit the contest bands.

73  Brian.

Tcvr - TS570 - 100w.
Ant - 3 ele Tribander @16mtrs.