[3830] WPX SSB VK5HRT SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Apr 16 16:13:11 PDT 2009

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VK5HRT
Operator(s): VK5HRT
Station: VK5HRT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: South Australia

This was my first attempt at such a large contest. I only had a modest station
with 100 watts into a Butternut HB9V ground mounted antenna with 22 x 20m (7ft)
radials. Couldn't run with such a small signal, so I spent the weekend doing S&P
like a sniper in the jungle.... only problem was that very often my prey was
just out of range even though I could see it clearly! So I'm studying hard to
upgrade my licence to give me 400 watts instead, would love to get that by
September in time for All Asia. After some negotiation with the XYL and sulking
around the house about my tiny little signal, I have now put in an order for a
HB35C five element full size tribander yagi and I've now bought wire for 60
radials. So hopefully by the time CQ-M International comes around in a few
weeks, my signal with have a bit more punch. Either way - I'm now hooked on
contests and have set aside weekends for SSB sections of CQ-M, VK Shires, King
of spain, IARU World Champs, IOTA, RDA, All Asia, WAE, SAC, Oceania, CQWW &
JIDX!!!! 73s Craig