[3830] MiQP K8MR Mobile Multi-Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Apr 21 20:47:02 PDT 2009

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 25 Counties

   80:  209     64
   40:  349     43
   20:  140     64
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  698    123  CW Mults = 65  Ph Mults = 55  Total Score = 182,280

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Results by county, in order of appearance:

       CW   SSB
LAPE   17    0
SANI   30    3
HURO   40    1
TUSC   35    5
SAGI   18    2
BAY    18    5
AREN   43    4
IOSC   47    5
OGEM   39    3
OSCO   30   21
ALCO   31    6
ALPE   19    4
MTMO   20    6
PRES   24    9
CHEB   18   11
EMME   36    7
CHAR   22    3
ANTR   30    0
OTSE   41    8
CRAW   33    7
ROSC   39    7
MISS   26    2
CLAR   25    2
ISAB    5    1
MIDL   12    1

States 44   27
Ctys   21   28

This year I teamed up with driver AC8E to cover 25 counties in the northeast
lower peninsula of Michigan. It was a beautiful day to be driving, but perhaps
too nice as a lot of people were taking advantage of the nicest day of the year
to date to do things other than work us crazy mobile contesters. As is often the
case, we did see snow on the ground in shaded areas in the top two tiers of
counties. I always hope this is the last snow I'll see for six or seven
months.

This was the maiden contest voyage of my new (2001) Honda Odyssey minivan. No
problems, it does have some ignition noise that the blanker handled, but little
other noise from fuel pumps, computers, etc. Fortunately gas prices were about
half of what they were last year.

Conditions were decent for having no sunspots. 80 meters worked well, and we
had more qsos on 75 SSB than on 40 and 20 SSB combined. A lot of those 80/75
qsos were well before dark.

Best qsos were the several with Phil, KL8DX up in Denali, including a qsy to
SSB where he was still decently loud. There were relatively few European QSOs
this year. I had two qsos with stations in the same county as me, a fairly rare
happening.  Worked WD8S on 40 CW in Ogemaw, and KX8P on 20 SSB in Presque Isle.
Unfortunatly neither could qsy to the other mode for a double mult.

Thanks to all who followed me around the state, as well as to those who made
only a qso or two.  See you all in the Ohio QSO Party on Saturday, August 22,
as well as in Dayton in a few weeks.

73  -  Jim   K8MR