[3830] NCCC Sprint K0DXC LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Apr 23 20:38:10 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - April 24

Call: K0DXC
Operator(s): K0DXC
Station: K0DXC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Jackson, OH

   80:  23     11
   40:  17     10
   20:   3      3
-------------------
Total:  43     24  Total Score = 1,032

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

RIG: IC-756PROIII
ANTENNAS: 40 and 20 Meters: 6BTV Vertical, 80 Meters: Alpha Delta DX-B Sloper @
35 Feet
SOFTWARE: Win-Test
RECORDING SOFTWARE: RecAllPRO

Visit http://k0dxc.com/audio/nsl-week-4-4242009 to listen to the sprint through
my ears. I'm warning you though --- I'm kind of embarrassed to be posting my
audio. I made a TON of typing mistakes. Apologies to everyone who ended up
sending their call twice because my fingers fluttered and typed in extra
letters/numbers. Example - I sent N0K or N0KKK to Kirk, N0KK every time we
worked. You can also hear beeping noises as I adjust a few settings on the
PROIII. Basically, I got on the radio without getting anything ready. I even
had to set the CW memories on the fly! It was just little things like that but
it probably ended up costing me valuable time in the end.

20 METERS STARTED OFF GOOD! I started on 20 meters working Dan, K7SS. But.... I
didn't record that contact. I forgot to turn the recorder on! Thankfully I
remembered to click "record" right after that. I also tried recording the slow
speed but I kept making typos in the recorder program which would then stop the
recording without me knowing it. After the SNS ended I tried to save an empty
file!

I'm not loud on 20 so I went to 40 after I was satisfied with my results on 20.
40 was decent, Signals weren't spread out very much BELOW 7040 but I was hearing
stuff from 7040 - 7045! Great job, guys! That made it REALLY easy to pick my way
"up the ladder".

I tried switching to 80 about 15 minutes before the end but NO ONE WAS THERE!
Must have been having to much fun on 40. 40 was so good I wouldn't have even
thought of switching to 80 unless it was my best NS band - which it is.

Of course, I lost about 50% of the jump balls on 40. 6BTV does a decent, but
not over-performing job. I have recently found out that it worked SPECTACULARLY
for 30 meters DX though!

10 minutes before the end of the contest I checked 80 again to find a few other
people there. Then things EXPLODED! I was amazed at a few of the pileups I had
after calling a short CQ. The last 5 minutes were a lot of fun and my
adrenaline was pumping! Tonight I truly discovered why the NS is the best 30
minutes in amateur radio.

WHERE IN THE WORLD WAS W0BH AND N3BB??? I might have heard Bob, but no sign of
Jim. Oh well, they were probably there but I just didn't work them.

Once again, sorry for my LID-like characteristics tonight. My fingers weren't
synced up with my brain!

If you listen to my recording and like it or have feedback - I'd like to hear
from you! K0DXC (at) K0DXC.COM

Thanks to everyone for the QSO(s)! I had a great time.

73,

Cal "KID", K0DXC
http://k0dxc.com/