[3830] NAQP CW K1TN Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Aug 1 22:21:06 PDT 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NJ

  160:    0     0
Total:  468   141  Total Score = 65,988

Club:

Team:

Comments:

All contacts made using a Hustler 4BTV "4 band" vertical (including 80). I put
this antenna up on my 2nd floor apartment balcony two weeks ago and it's still
a work in progress. Four days ago the end-fed wire in a tree that I've used
here for two years fell down. I guess its feelings were hurt. I didn't have the
energy or ambition or time to put it back up before this weekend so I thought
I'd just try out the new trap vertical.

I ended up doing well enough that I used my MFJ auto tuner to put some power
into the center conductor of the feed line on 80 for the last 90 minutes or so,
to at least hunt down a few multipliers. Thanks to everybody who strained to
hear me on 80, especially. This setup for 80 was very noisy on receive but
fortunately I didn't have to use it; not long ago I sneaked a 130-foot wire
along the ground and into the woods for a snake antenna, and it really works. I
broke another Condo Law by pounding in a ground rod,too.

The vertical blows my cover here; nobody has complained about it yet. And no
pounding on the door this weekend. I'm hoping to hold out here another year or
two.

I never dreamed I'd put in the entire 10 hours, that's for sure.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation
Atlantic City