[3830] NAQP CW K4BAI Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 2 06:24:55 PDT 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:17

Total:  619   185  Total Score = 114,515

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #2

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, TH6 (pointed NW), zepp for all bands except 160, 40M dipole,
160M tee vertical.  20M sounded weak before the start and was discouraged with
no signals on 10 or 15.  However, after a while on 20, I discovered 15 open,
and 10M opened around 19Z to NJ and New England and remained open for hours
with signals as far west as MN eventually.  Signals from the west coast and
Pacific northwest seemed weak to non-existent on all bands except 40.  And
then, I missed the best part of 40.  We went to a big dinner celebration for
the 100th anniversary of the founding of our country club.  As a result, I was
QRT from 2301 to 0243Z.  This hurt 80 and 160M also.  I sacrificed a slightly
stronger signal on 80 with the inverted vee to use it as a tee dipole on 160
and that enabled quick QSYs with no difficulty.  I used two separate antenna
tuners, one dedicated to 160, and the other to tune the zepp on 80-10M.  Hope
the beam will be turning again in a few weeks.  Really missed that flexibility.
 Lots of fun. Thanks for all the QSOs.  I may have to reexamine my long held
belief that even moderate alcohol ingestion should be avoided during and before
contests.  I think I worked everything I could work after getting home from the
party.  The rate really dropped off in the last hour as the east coast went to
bed and the west coast was weak except for 40M, which was pretty much worked
out.  73, John, K4BAI.