[3830] NAQP CW N3BB Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 2 10:12:07 PDT 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  904   202  Total Score = 182,608

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC-Jalapenos

Comments:

The score represents a miss from my usual goal of 200K points in this one, but I
feel I did as well as I could. The weather was good here, as we missed the
storms in northern Texas. They got as far as fifty miles from here. 80 and 160
were noisy but we did get a nice rain, the first in several months, Thursday
afternoon and it finally knocked off the dirt and dust from the power lines and
I was treated to what goes for a quiet contest here from the aspects of line
noise.

Looking at the fine scores from all over the country, it's hard to put a finger
on what was different in this area, since the local S/O scores all were down. It
seemed that overall activity was a bit down. I can't put my finger on exactly
was seems different.

Running low power on 80 and 160 meters from down here in the summer is an
exercise in humility. That's for sure. The contest opened with a decent opening
on fifteen, and a semi-decent opening on ten. One of my breaks definitely cut
into a ten meter opening, and that's not good strategy, but the overall rate
(run band and ten) was low enough that I decided to go ahead. Cross-checking
the mults with K5PI (at W5KFT), there were plenty of mults available; we both
missed some the other guy got. Some of that is SO2R dedication, and some is the
randomness of who is on and where and when. Robert definitely had some bad luck
as he had to shut down in the storm at a prime time on 40 meters. I worked SO2R
hard all the time. Had very few "slouchy" slips in concentration. Everything
worked fine.

Thanks to people for the moves. I had fifteen successful band moves for a mult,
and at least that many which were not successful, most of which were on fifteen
meters. It would be interesting for someone to do a study on "moving" versus
"running" to see what the trade off is. In general, ten percentage more moves
equals ten percent more contacts in terms of score, which is about twenty mults
or a hundred contacts, so a move is worth five contacts. Since approximately
half the moves seem to work for me, then it takes forty "move attempts" to
generate the same affect on the score as 80 more net contacts since each
successful move also is a contact. Hmmm. That means that a successful move is
worth only two normal contacts. Am I thinking clearly?

The NAQP is fun since we get to spend ten exciting and focused hours with the
best CW contesters in the US and Canada. It's nice to know that so much skill
is represented in this group.

Thanks to all for the contacts and the moves and the fleeting little "hellos"
we feel when we connect.

73, Jim George N3BB

Numbers to follow:

Rate N3BB

  HOUR  160CW    80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    10CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       0       0       0      11      76       1      88      88
   19       2       2       0      48      37       2      91     179
   20       0       0       0      24      43       5      72     251
   21       0       0       0      11       3      14      28     279
   22       0       0       0      57       1       0      58     337
   23       0       0      13      36       0       0      49     386

    0       0       0      43      58       0       0     101     487
    1       0       0      59      50       1       0     110     597
    2       0       0      77      18       0       0      95     692
    3       0      19      60       6       0       0      85     777
    4       7      34      15       0       0       0      56     833
    5      19      24      28       1       0       0      72     905
    6       0       0       1       0       0       0       1     906

  TOTAL    28      79     296     320     161      22

N3BB Mults

160CW
Al      Ca      Ga      In      La      Mo      Ok      Sd      Tx      Wi
Ar      Co      Il      Ks      Mn      Oh      Sc      Tn      Ut      vE2

 80CW
Al      Co      Ga      La      Mn      Nh      Ok      Sd      Va      vE3
Ar      Ct      Il      Ma      Mo      Nj      Or      Tn      Wa
Az      De      In      Me      Ms      Ny      Pa      Tx      Wi
Ca      Fl      Ks      Mi      Mt      Oh      Sc      Ut      vE2

 40CW
Al      Ct      Id      Ky      Mi      Nc      Ny      Sc      Va      vE2
Ar      De      Il      La      Mn      Ne      Oh      Sd      Wa      vE3
Az      Fl      In      Ma      Mo      Nh      Ok      Tn      Wi      vE7
Ca      Ga      KP4     Md      Ms      Nj      Or      Tx      Wv      vE9
Co      Ia      Ks      Me      Mt      Nm      Pa      Ut      vE1     vO2

 20CW
Ak      Ct      Id      Ma      Ms      Nm      Pa      Ut      vE2
Al      De      Il      Md      Mt      Nv      Ri      Va      vE3
Ar      Fl      In      Me      Nc      Ny      Sc      Vt      vE6
Az      Ga      Ks      Mi      Ne      Oh      Sd      Wa      vE7
Ca      Hi      Ky      Mn      Nh      Ok      Tn      Wi      vE9
Co      Ia      La      Mo      Nj      Or      Tx      vE1     vY2

 15CW
Az      De      Md      Mo      Ny      Tn      Vt      vE1
Ca      Il      Me      Nc      Oh      Tx      Wa      vE3
Co      In      Mi      Nh      Pa      Ut      Wi      vY2
Ct      Ma      Mn      Nj      Sc      Va      Wv

 10CW
In      Md      Mi      Ny      Oh      Pa      Sc      Tx      Va      vE1