[3830] NCCC Sprint K7SS/M LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Aug 7 14:47:59 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - August 7

Call: K7SS/M
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7SS/M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: or
Operating Time (hrs): .33333

   80:   0      0
   40:   0      0
   20:  28     14
-------------------
Total:  28     14  Total Score = 392

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

On a road trip in Hood River, OR. Have an 857d and ATAS120 antenna (40-6).
heres the bullet points:

1. MAJOR Software failure.
2. BANDCHANGE snafu
3. HOW do i find the NB to turn it off!?

Decided to jump in the car and give er a go. Pad of paper, ballpoint pen, and a
water bottle. Clock said 0225...so 5 minutes to set up. Worked stalwarts N8EA
and K4BAI with good reports. Also the Kid could hear me from OH.
0228...everyone calling NS NS NS....car clock off 2 min.  note to self. set car
clock.

Band was JAMMED w/ sigs. NB crossmod plus not sure how to turn the filters on
and off. Did press a button and wound up with 120hz filter !  EGAD!!...
Finally found someone I could copy.  Called em.. AHA! A QSO !  PEN WONT WRITE
!!!  memorize nr from N6RO my first Q, and look for another, while frantically
scribbling circles trying to make the pen write !!!  note to self. redundant
software next time /m,  AND learn the menu sequences on the 857d !

20 was rockin....even got a few calls on end of Q, my turn. but CQs were
hopeless. 28 Qs in 20 minutes, and off to 40 for the end...

Hit the TUNE button to get the antenna to 40... rrrrrr rrrrr rrrr  antenna
stretches out to what should be the 40m length, and continues rrrr rrrrr
rrrrrrr
SWR looked good but motor whirring, and cant get thru to anyone...even the
monster W6 signals of VVA ZFO YK and RO...

Turn it all off after few minutes trying and return to house....with complete
log sheet on 3 x 4 inch lined yellow notepad paper.  End of NS, End of Ladder.

note to self: recall BSA motto from many years ago.. BE PREPARED.

73 see you from home in the next event as DANWA...

K7SS/Mobile DANOR