[3830] WAE CW NY4A(@N4AF) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 10 06:04:31 PDT 2009

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: NY4A
Operator(s): AA4FU N4AF
Station: N4AF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC

   80:  225   110   144
   40:  520   550   132
   20:  747   997    98
   15:  217    51    60
   10:    2     0     4
-------------------------
Total: 1711  1708   438  Total Score = 1,497,522

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

AA4FU and I went multi in this one. Something like 1750 qso's.

This was my first experience as a multi in WAE -and it does take some
of the stress of s/o off -plus murphy was kind to us.
OTH, frustrating to be on the multiplier position and hear all the
qso's we needed and not be able to pick them up because
of the ten minute rule- an advantage to SO2R, but it has it's own challenges.

Overall, Alan and I did a good job of being on the right band;
condx on the high bands (10/15) were less than optimal. Perhaps we
have just been lucky in that condx in past events this
year tended to be above ambient condx of previous days and this time
condx did not rise at time-of-contest.
I'd hoped the sunspots of early July would return- not to be.

80M was good and noise was decent (for August). We pushed that band as
WAE is generous on the multiplier computation (& my favorite band).

40M is the band that just keeps giving. This time of year it shuts
down at 0200 local so can log sack time. Thanks to Alan who did yeoman's
work on 40M.

20M was good. Alan tended to work the late midnite til 2am 40M end and
I did the 6am-8am slot. Else, we switched off hourly.
To my surprise, 20M was good early and stayed good til about sunset.

15M was generally poor. Much better on Sunday, where the bulk of our
15M qsos occurred.

10M just did not open here. Frustrating to hear the boys up North
spotting stuff and not hear it here.
We picked up CT and EA and that was it.

73, Howie/ N4AF & Alan AA4FU

Logging: N1MM